1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

93 Chev 454 Dually starting problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dforner, Feb 17, 2005.

1. dforner

dforner Junior Member
    from 97019

I have a 1993 Chev dually that won't start. Engine turns over, no fuel and no spark. Changed out the ignition switch on steering column yesterday. Engine did start and ran OK, but then I turned it off and now it's back to won't start, no spark, no fuel. Checked fuses and relays - all OK.
    Need help figuring out what's wrong - what would cause no spark and no fuel (throttle body) at the same time
  2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Check the fusible links, run a testlight on both sides of it to make sure it is not burnt. Sounds like you have an accessory power wire problem.

Also a crank/cam sensor bad could cause these symptoms.

check for power at the coil with the key on, if it is there and there is no spark....try the cam/crank sensor.
  3. dforner

dforner Junior Member
    from 97019

93 dually start problem

Thanks for your insight. I have checked the fuseable links and the test OK.
    What do you mean by accessory wiring?
    I'll do the crank/cam test tomorrow. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. I'll let you know what, if anything, happens.
  4. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

In '93 there was no cam or crank sensor on a 454, the pickup coil on the distributor provided the reference signal to the PCM. With no spark or injector pulse, I'd look more closely at the distributor and/or ignition module. I am assuming you have fuel pressure, but no fuel spraying from the injectors. If you have access to a dianostic scanner, look for RPM to be above zero while cranking. I'd lean towards picking up a rebuilt distributor if you don't have the required equipment for checking the unit.
  5. dforner

dforner Junior Member
    from 97019

bought a rebuilt distributor today and will install tomorrow, will update you and thanks for the info. I hope this is what is causing the problem...
  6. dforner

dforner Junior Member
    from 97019

93 Chev 454 Duilly starting

NJ BuickRacer.
    Thank you it was the ignition module Put in a new module it started right up and ran grate.