1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 YJ Wrangler

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by StaffordTree, Nov 17, 2011.

1. StaffordTree

StaffordTree Junior Member
    from NJ

Anybody know if a 92 YJ wrangler 2.5L 4cyl, 5peed with a 2 inch body lift will handle a 7'6 meyer steel plow??

If not what is the best plow and mount to put on this little beast?

2. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

It should do fine as long as its in 4WD and the tranny is in 4LO. A 7'6 plow collects a lot of snow when being pushed by a short wheel base wrangler, let alone a 4 cyl. and it would most definitely put a substantial amount of pressure on the drivetrain. If it were me, I'd back down to a 7' or less and if you feel that it can handle more, than add wings to it. I have a Wrangler Rubicon with a 7' meyers and although it gets the job done, heavier storms does put some strain on the vehicle.

Traction would be your next item to take care of seeing as the light weight of the wrangler can inhibit the abilities of it compared to larger vehicles but the flip side being that it can fit anywhere.

3. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

I would go with a 6'6", the weight is gonna sag your front end pretty good. Make sure your body lift is good quality and tight too. I hear air shocks can be used to even it out but have no personal experience with them.

X2 on the ballast to make sure you have traction in the rear so it doesn't try to race the front and leave you in a drift.

4. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

My 92 YJ handles my6'6 well, not sure if I would o bigger. 4L is ok to plow forwards or in tight situations, but reverse is painfully slow. Go with smaller plows, get wings if you need more. The smaller plow will run over its tracks on curves and full angle.

5. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

My 92 YJ handles my6'6 well, not sure if I would go bigger. 4L is ok to plow forwards or in tight situations, but reverse is painfully slow. Go with smaller plows, get wings if you need more. The smaller plow will run over its tracks on curves and full angle.

6. IndoorPlower

IndoorPlower Junior Member

i have a 94 sahara auto 6, 93 renegade auto 6, 91 sport auto 6 and all with meyers plows and 6.6 and wouldnt go bigger or heavier on those YJs. TJs and newer can handle 7. In my opinion your gonna kill if not murder that poor 4cyl YJ. Sell the jeep and buy something stronger.

7. snowplowdog

snowplowdog Member

I'll have to agree with most of the guys sayng to go with the 6'6". I have a 6'6" meyer on my 90 YJ and I have the 4.2 I6 which has a little more torque. I could probably push a 7 or 7.5 but I even work it pretty hard with what I have.