1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 w250 brake issue

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by yearground, Nov 18, 2009.

1. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

sit at the lights or anywhere for more than a few seconds and pedal feels as though its falling but doesnt. Truck begins to roll and have to lift off and re-apply brakes. Replaced master cylinder as per mechanics advice but did it 2 weeks later again. He suggested maybe the vacuum pump? Should I try another master, suspecting the rebuilt one was crap too or look deeper. Appreciate the help. tymusic

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

is it using any brake fluid, mabe your wheel cylinders are leaking or a caliper seal issue. i would look all that over first, i dont think it would have anthing to do with a vacum issue

3. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Perhaps there is still air in the lines?? Try bleeding the brakes another time. Front and rear, check for any leaks on the rear backing plates/tires. Alot of parts come from China so I wouldn't be shocked if the master went bad again.

4. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

no fluid loss, weeping anywhere. Prob. try new master today. Also, bands on 46rh never adjusted but fluid and filter every year. works fine since 92. guts tell me to leave it alone but wondering if maybe i should. thoughts?

5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

on my 84 w 250 there was an adjusment on the brake booster that pushes the plunger in on the master cylinder, mabe turn it out a few turns, it might help out and give you a higher pedal. like daff said yuo might have air leaking in the system somewhere.

6. DAFFMOBILEWASH

As for the trans, if there is alot of clutch material on the magnet then look into a band adjustment in the near future. I have rarely heard of anyone loosing a auto trans in this era. Normally the OD goes but the old iron still keeps on trucking.

Myself I wouldn't worry very much unless you feel or smell something funny!!!!

7. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Hey guys, since this thread is 'Slipping' into the trans side of things, I have my tranny (A-518) at the shop, it's baked but I had the one out of my donor 93 so they are going to see if it will make a better replacement. The thing we all should know with this vintage of truck is that parts for these trans are getting harder to find and expensive. Shop quoted me over $3K for a full rebuild but I needed a new valve body, TC, T-case speed sensor and cooling line ($ 340 alone!). I really hope this rebuild will last. Makes me wish my PT was a standard like all my other work trucks. tymusic

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

I am sure that the trans in the old 93 has had no abuse over the years!!! LOL Funny it only took 18 years of work and fun to wear out. Sure they might be ugly but one of the best work trucks ever in my books!!

9. Canuck9c1

Canuck9c1 Junior Member

old bulldozer's

just picked up an old '89 Dodge 250 4 X 4 CTD with a '92 front clip. Looking for taillight and front parking lamp lenses (odds and ends) IF you local guy's have parts trucks??
    It came with a 7'6'' Western Unimount Pro. Western1 claims to have the correct truckside mount but I have to locate proper wiring etc. Plow functions fine but no lamp function on plow or truck. tymusic
    Roy

10. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Wire the lights on the plow seperate from the driving lights. Use a heavy switch relay and some quick connects up front. You can splice into the turn signals for the plow lights tho. You will find the plow lights are only a few inches higher than the truck ones!!!

I restored a 93 last winter only to loose her to a wiring fire between the pump and lights. The salt created a dead short in some shabby wiring from the previous owner patch job. Ugggg I still miss that truck. Only if I had gone through the plow wiring fully. Since it always worked flawless I assumed all was good.

Look for stress markes in the frame near the steering box and just behind the shock mount on the front frame.

11. Canuck9c1

Canuck9c1 Junior Member

thanx

for the head's up, Daff. I'm picking the truck up this AM from the exhaust shop. Drove it Home from Parry Sound with just the downpipe :dizzy:
    love noise and diesel perfume BUT after a couple of hour's..................
    had the guy run a straight pipe back and out, just in front of the RR wheel opening.
    I have to find a matching LH plow lamp (grote) and get them both working quick
    heavy frost last night
    Thanx again, Man

12. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Canuck, the tail light lenses from the parts truck are gone, I will look at the front signal lenses tomorrow, If you check a wrecker they should have a few "melting" dodges around with the odds and ends you need. Make sure you oil the body good if it's still in good shape, what did you pay for her? How many KM?

13. Canuck9c1

Canuck9c1 Junior Member

Haliburton

went up there for a Family Reunion about 35 years ago......:jester: Coneybeare
    paid $3800 and honed it down to Orillia
    mileage unknown:rolleyes:

14. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

So are you related to Arctic Cat dealer, or the Butcher? Sorry my lenses are gone, only found one rear tail light lens and it has a big hole in it. I do have a donor truck and I think we need to start a small co-op for parts LOL! One thing I am looking into now, I want to swap my Auto for a 5 speed, so this spring I'll have an A518 for sale rebuilt 12-09' if anyone is interested.