1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9'2" VXT was running slo-o-o-o-ow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jomofo, Dec 5, 2008.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

So I got home last night to about 12" of fresh... Started the truck and let it warm up for about 5 mins.. It was a little cold - about 4 when I started.. Went out and raised the plow - holy schnikies did it move slow... Seemed like a real drain on the electrical system as well, which suprised me as the battery is in good shape, and I have the 160 amp alternator... Giving it a little gas made a little difference but did not get it running at normal speed straight away... It gradually got better and was running at more or less normal speed by the end of my push - about 1.5 miles, 3 passes, + about 500 square meters open area clearing.

Does this sound basically normal to you guys?
  2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Yeah the fluid is just cold, as you were using it the fluid warmed up a bit which resulted in better flow and faster speed.

There is a thinner fluid you can use, like ATF to help with that issue.
  3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

did you check the fluid level by chance? i dont think ATF will help since its thicker than plow oil at colder temps.. :confused: next time you go out let the truck warm up like you did then just spend a few minutes running the plow through its motions to see if that helps you out.
  4. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys - I did not check the fluid level, but I did look for signs of leaking - no red spots anywhere... The 'thick fluid' theory makes sense to me in every way, except that I wouldn't think Boss fluid would become so viscous at such a high temperature... I would've thought that +4F is pretty warm for that sort of thing - but I can't say I know.

Next time I push (should be Monday) I will try running the plow through it's motions for a few minutes and see how quickly it loosens up.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Positive it actually has Boss (or plow) fluid in it? ATF slows down noticeably at near 0* temps..