1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9'2" VXT w/wings?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ByDesign, Nov 16, 2014.

1. ByDesign

ByDesign Senior Member

Anyone running wings on a 9'2" VXT steel? Wondering how moving a plow that big around town would work. We are subbing for someone who is really pushing us to put them on this plow and im just not sold for $800 bucks. Any real world experience or pics would help. Truck is an 02 F-350 Cab & chassis.

2. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Does your rate increase if you install wings ?

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Wings will make you more efficient plowing big lots but for getting in between vehicles you are gonna be huge.
    Plus the added fact that that blade isn't as tough as I though it would be. Without wings it still has its weak spots.

4. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

To me 800 isn't nothing compared to the option of adding the optional extra feet when you want/need to. If your truck can handle the weight I would. Not sure if they're like mine but if they are the same process you can have them both on & off in 2 minutes. Just take them off and throw them in the back if you have the room, while driving in between accounts or if you want to take a chance then leave them on

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  5. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

I have a set on a 9'2" and 8'2" VXT's. I tell me drivers to take them off between jobs after 6am. The wings are huge and clumsy but hold a ridiculous amount of snow. You need the right driver behind them as well, I don't trust some of the guy's, I feel they will tear them up.

6. ByDesign

ByDesign Senior Member

I dont think the truck will have a problem with the weight, Reg cab 6 speed 350 dullay cab & chassis. No extra $$ involved for the wings, but I can utilize the truck on different lots with the wings. I am mainly worried about the transport aspect of them. The new driver did very well, no complaints or call backs...I think they sound like a good options of they were easily removable. Anyone know where to get them for a better price than $800?

Markus...elaborate on the weak spots of this blade.

Thank you

7. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I debated for a couple years on adding the wings.

I love them for my parking lots. Driveways I remove them - 20 seconds per wing, easy. I toss them in my truck bed.

There definitely worth the $$. I do not like driving down highways with them - there too wide for that.

8. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know if I'd want a 9'2" with wings. Our 8'2"s with wings can be enough fun to get around in town. With that being said, they do make a huge difference in snow carrying and productivity I can't imagine plowing without them.

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have tweaked the A frame support, and broken the bottom and middle hinge support on the front quadrant. That's just me though I tend to play a little hard.
    I am sure given time with more capacity I could do more.:)

10. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

they definitely make a difference in the amount of snow you can move. Once you see the amount and get used to it you don't want to go back. I left them on once when I was done for the ride home and I was moving over for oncoming traffic then I was moving back looking out for the mailboxes lol

11. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

As someone above posted, if they're not going to pay you more for them why would you get them since you're subbing?

12. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Get done faster then they might send you to another location cause you got done before other guys.

13. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

X2. move more snow faster = more production per hour

14. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

Do you sub by the hour or by the lot? If it's by the hour you need to make more than you currently are because you not only have the additional investment but will be working your truck harder meaning more ware and tare. And more fuel. If you get paid by the job. Then put them on and slam another job under your belt every storm

15. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Ya, that ^^^^^

16. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed 100%. This is our first year with v plows, we've run straight blades with wings up until now, and unless I were plowing roads, I don't think I'll ever buy another straight. Perhaps to pair with an Ebling on a truck where the front blade pretty much just stacks, helps cut down the investment total on the truck.

V plow and wings all the way, for sure. I had a few guys tell me that I wouldn't notice any change in production from our 8'6" Pro Plus with wings (9'6" total) to the 8'2"s with wings. It made a big difference in longer pushes yesterday morning. A few more events will help me say for sure, but I'm guessing that easily 15% more productivity so far. It's worth every penny they cost!

17. ByDesign

ByDesign Senior Member

Thanx guys. We typically get really light snow, so I think pushing the additional weight wouldn't be a problem. I'm going to search for a deal and maybe I'll pick some up. $800 for wings is just stupid.

18. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

if you were handy with a welder you could make your own using the same principal design

19. ByDesign

ByDesign Senior Member

I feel like by the time I add the materials and labor, I wouldn't be too far off. I ended up picking up a set of wings yesterday for the plow. Planning on installing them tomorrow or this weekend...I'll snap a few pics once I'm finished.

20. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I at first found it hard to justify the cost. I had a discussion w/ my dealer about how they were available online for less...he didn't like that of course. Long story short I was able to work out a competitive price to that deal, and since there was already a delivery scheduled, I also negotiated no freight charges.

On my fourth season w/ them now and I would pay the $800 if I had no other option.

At first it was quite nerve racking driving w/ them on (also somewhat illegal, but never been stopped). I'm selective as to when and where I drive w/ them on, otherwise it hasn't been a problem. Like others said, I haul them in the bed.

As far as function, I can't say enough. I feel like I'm plowing in slow motion when I don't put them on. Very impressive in deep powder.

I run a 9'2" VXT on a diesel one ton.

Oh yea...ball joints getting done tomorrow from all that weight bouncing from last winter on rough roads. So there's another trade off to consider when and how you transport them.