1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9'2" VXT or Western Wideout?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Raymond S., Oct 19, 2010.

1. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

No this isn't another "What plow should I buy" thread...well kinda. I'm putting a new plow on a 2011 F350 single cab single wheel. I had pretty much decided on a 9'2" VXT but then thought I'd give Western a call on the wideout. Got quoted $6300 installed on the Wideout and he said they pretty much stopped selling V plows as everyone is going to the wideout because of the extra width vs. a V in scoop position, etc. So I talk to the Boss guy and get quoted $5200 installed on the 9'2" VXT, and he says everyone's getting rid of the wideouts and going back to the V's because of the reliability vs. the wideout.
    So I would like some real world feedback on what you guys are installing on your trucks today, new, with having the option of both. Not necessarily what you "would" buy if you could or why your V is better because it's paid for, etc. I need to get this hammered out in the next week or so. Real world feedback is appreciated.
    Oh, primary use will be 20k-60k sq. ft. rectangular lots. I'm coming from mostly 8' straight blades with wings.

Quotes:
    Boss 8'2" VXT $5000
    Boss 9'2" VXT $5200
    Western Wideout $6300
    these are installed prices.

2. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

we run a wide assortment of plows. primarily 8' and 9' fishers. but we also have many fisher 8.5 and 9.5 V. also a couple XLS (which is almost identicle to the wideout) and honestly the v plows are the way to go for opening up. but the XLS can easily run circles around the v plows when it comes to windrowing in an open lot. it just moves so much more per pass.

honestly though it is soley up to you.

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Your prices on the Boss plows are the cheapest I've seen. Is that with or without Smart Lock cylinders?

4. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I've just found a bunch of writeups on this exact debate. Didn't mean to post another of many threads on this subject. Seems from what I'm reading for my use the wideout is going to be more productive. Don't find myself opening up deep lots too often. Alot of my stuff is zero-little tolerance so it doesn't get a chance to build up to the point of needing "opened up."

5. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Didn't ask that. I'm not well versed on the Boss plows but I think that helps keep the V from going forward when backdragging is that correct?

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I just bought a 9'2" VXT. Those are great prices for Boss plows.
    My 810 Blizzard is fast in the open area's. I bought a 9'2" because I'm going to have an Ebling on the back but if I was running just a front blade I would have bought a 8'2" and put the wings on it. It will windroe almost as fast as a wideout but in scoop with the wings it will move way more snow.

You are correct about smart locks. They are under $300 if you get them at the same time as the plow. Still cheap pricing.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

For sure that is VXT pricing and not the normal V?

8. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Yes, he said he couldn't even get me pricing on the normal V because they haven't sold any since last year. Obviously he COULD if I wanted to but I didn't push the issue.

I'm looking down at my notes and It's says
    8'2" VXT $5k
    9'2" VXT +$200
    install $300...I asked him how much to throw my 8' Meyer on my other truck so that's where the install price came from. Now there is a chance it's $300 on top of the prices listed above but I'm 99% sure that's not the case because I asked him about the separate install after we were done talking about the Boss plows.

9. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

<body style="background:#FF0033">
    get the red one!

what kind of lots are you doing?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  10. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I find that a V plow is a necessity for us because of the crazy drifting that we get around here sometimes.

11. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

for those prices you might as well do a 8.2 with wings, great setup

12. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

I am going with the Western wideout on my 2011 DRW. The final deciding factor for me over the Blizzard power plow is dealer support during the storm. They are both the same distance from me in opposite directions, but the Western dealer is open 24hrs for support during the storms vs "extended" hours for the blizzard dealer.

13. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

i dont blame you, we have loved our blizzards (untill they changed their undercarriage and we have no clearance now) but the wester wide out is the same darn plow. we used to run v-blades and have changed most of the trucks over to blizzards version of the wide out since. you wont be sorry

14. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Just take your Blizzard to the Western dealer. Almost the same plow with a few things here and there.

15. gtstang462002

The Western dealer is also selling it to me $500 under the blizzard dealer (military discount that they offer). I am doing the install myself either way.

16. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

good for you, might be time for me to think about western

17. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I'd still go Blizzard though. 855 lbs. is a bit too much to me to be rattling and bouncing around on a chain.

18. gtstang462002

While the thought has crossed my mind, as I like the idea of a direct lift, but the chain lift has been around for an since they went away from winches pulling the plow up. The westerns around here have a decent name and the blizzards just don't seem to be around. That could be partially because the dealer that sounds like the pushy used car salesman though.

19. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

The only thing i hate about blizzards is that the paint sucks just like ford white

20. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

yeah the paint does go to heck pretty fast