1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9'2" or 8'2" , Steel or Poly

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chuckie, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Chuckie

Chuckie Member
    from PA

My story and dilema......

I have a pretty good assortment of midsized lots, apts, and drives.

I have been running a 7' 6" steel superduty Boss on my F-250 for at least five years now. I love it. Was going to purchase wings for it last winter and didnt think it would be worth the 500 bucks. Then one of the guys that plows for me bought the blizzard last year and I wish I would have bought the wings just for clean up purposes after seeing his blizzard in the field.
    My current dilema. I have just purchased a 2007 F-250 Superduty extended cab shortbed. It has the 6000lb front end so putting on a 9'2" will not be a problem. My question is .... I am looking for the pros and cons of 9'2" vs 8'2" v-plow besides 12 more inches of straight plowing. My main reason in my head for choosing the v plow is for scooping purposes but I am sure I will come up with many more once I have one.

And a more specific question , I do not know the pros and cons of the poly over steel. I am north of Philadelphia and most of our snow is wet snow and the reason of having less snow sticking to the poly will not affect me so much, so I was wondering what other pros and cons may be out there.

I would like to thank all you guys in advance for your help. Chuckie

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I would say go for the 9'2" with a ton of ballast in your bed. Maybe more like 1000-1500 lbs of ballast. You'll end up wanting the longer plow if you get the 8'2". You can still get wings for the 9'2" and got overboard if it comes down to it.

3. Chuckie

Chuckie Member
    from PA

bump to the top......
    any more input from you guys

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I went with the Fisher 8'6" Extreme V SS, you will love the scoop feature on any V blade, its already saved me time in just the one plow-able snow fall we've had. Poly's are definitely heavier than a steel plow (in the same class). We just bought an 06 F250 with the 5200lb front end set up and the Fisher dealer said I could easily put the 9' on but I didn't want to prematurely wear my truck out, plus I just didn't need a plow that big. If it were me I would go with the 8'2 poly V (i'm assuming your sticking with Boss). I believe you can add wings to the Boss plow as well if you need a few more inches.

5. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

The next plow I get will be the 9'2 Vee. Time is money so I think bigger is better. The cons would be the extra weight but I really don't think it is that much of a difference . Go with the poly, They don't rust like the steel.

6. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

After owning both straight and v-blades I will never go back to a straight unless it is a 10' or bigger. You will find a v to be much more effecient. Poly v steel. I run all steel. weight difference isn't that much. I like the steel better.
    I bought an 06 F250 PWS and am running an 8-6 Western MVP. The lose of the 12" to me will not make much difference to me because of the efficiency of the V.

just my 2 cents

7. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I was in the same situation. I ended up going with the 8'2" because the 9'2" wouldn't fit in some of my driveways and smaller commercials. If I didn't have them I would have definitely gone with the bigger plow.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have an 8.2 V plow.
    The next one will be the 9.2
    We put the Boss wings on the 8.2 now it is around 10.2.:dizzy:
    I don't plow a lot of res, but it sure makes short work of them.
    I like the added length for the commercial lots.
    The only place it will not fit is a bank drive threw.

9. Chuckie

Chuckie Member
    from PA

Thanks guys......keep your responses coming....I will check back after work tonight.....thanks again

10. Chuckie

Chuckie Member
    from PA

Bump

Bump for the weekend..... thanks

11. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have a 9'2" Poly V Boss plow. I love it. It still holds some snow but not as much as my steel plows. I wouldn't own any thing else. It stays looking good, doesn't rust, and is everybit as strong as a steel mulboard with the extra bracing behind it. I would buy poly again in a second.

12. TEX

TEX Senior Member

poly

no i dont ahve one but have heard that the poly is great when new for snow not sticking but after is gets a few schatches and cuts in it snow starts to stick. like i said this is just hear say---anyone else hear of this?

13. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

I am looking into buying a blizzard 810 so I am curious why you arent considering the blizzard 810 or 8611 for your truck?

Thanks

14. Chuckie

Chuckie Member
    from PA

Blizzard

After receiving my finall quotes for the 9'2" plow, and with them running close to 6000 dollars after smartlocks and rubber deflector, I did finally click onto the Blizzard site to look at the 810. Now I just need to call for pricing. I originally wanted to stick with Boss because that is what is on my other truck, and I Love it. But after spending over 40k on a truck I originally did not plan on buying till next spring, It kills me to spend another 6k for a plow. All I have to say is it better snow.....lol.

15. lawnMaster5000

You should be able to find a Blizzard 810 for $5000 installed. There are several dealers in IL that are selling at $4900-5300.

Check www.SnowPlowSupply.com
    They charge $450 to install the blizzards b/c it is more work than straight blades.

16. lawnMaster5000

The only bad thing about the Blizzards seems to be the lighting. It is my understanding that they use older style lights which dont have the same output as new lights.

Can someone please comment on this.

Thanks

17. DRB0528

DRB0528 Junior Member

I just bought a 9'2" poly with smart locks and a deflector installed for $5300. Heard a lot of goods things about the plow. Can't wait for the snow to fly, I’m really anxious to use it.