1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 K1500 drum brakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BPK63, Sep 12, 2012.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Anybody have a truck this year or similar? I just finished all new plumbing to the rear, new drums, shoes, brake cylinders, everything was shot. What I'm curious about is the shoes are all identical, no leading type shoe, and the adjuster is high up with no way to get to it from the outside. It appears you adjust it just enough so the drum goes on and you're done? Never saw drum brakes like this before. There is also a funny metal tab that spins in the middle of the adjuster. Any info is appreciated. Just finished bleeding them with my son and then put some good pressure on the pedal and no leaks, whoohoo! Just want to make sure I didn't miss something before I put the tires back on.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Take a pic that would help a lot
  3. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

Hi. What size rear diff??? My 94 K1500 has a heavy half rear end. 9.5 semi floater that has 3/4 ton axles, seals, shoes, wheel cylinders ect... The shoes are the same length on the backing material. Was a pain getting parts hear cuz parts guys never hear of such!
  4. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Sounds just like my 89 K1500 rear brakes. You did everything the same way I did it.
  5. crete5245

crete5245 Member

They are called leading trailing brakes. Gm used these on the rear of the 1/2 ton pickups, because ABS was used on these trucks. The old Duo servo system was to aggresive to be controled by the ABS unit, and they would lock up.

The tab in the middle of the adjuested is a heat senseing device. When the brakes get hot and the drum expands, the adjuster would want to adjust the brakes out, if this was to happen, when the drum cooled, it would be much smaller and the drum would be locked up. So this heat senseing tab takes up the slack when the brake assemble gets real hot. Prevents the drum brakes from adjusting to far out. and causing a locked brake drum