1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 K-3500 4 Wheel Drive Not Engaging

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JohnsonLawn, Oct 17, 2005.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

I have a question regarding my 1992 K-3500 Dump. I did a search and I think I have a pretty good idea what the problem is but would like your opinion. When I try to engage the 4 wheel drive with the floor shift, nothing happens. No lights on the floor cluster and no 4 wheel drive. It is just dead. Would the actuator cause all of this to happen. I have heard chevys are known for actuator problems but did not know what the common symtoms are. Thanks for any replies.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

That very well could be, also check the linkage.

3. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

Pretty sure also...Crappy design using heat and a glass bulb full of some liquid. Get yourself an electronic version of the actuator, made by Ranco or even a GM part and replace it. Easy to do and 0 problems...

4. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

BTW,,,try to shift into 4 lo. If you can get that, it's 99% that it's the actuator..

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I guess that what you really meant was if you can'T get it to engage in 4L, then it's likely the actuator.

While they're not cheap.....Try like a NAPA or CarQuest....It's something that would be good to replace anyway, as the truck's 14 years old.

6. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

What I thought I meant that if the transfer case can be shifted into low, the linkages are OK. Truck would still have two wheel drive, but the linkages would be OK and the actuator would be suspect...

7. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

I ordered the actuator today. I will let you know how I make out. Hopefully this will solve my problem as I use this truck as mt primary plow vehicle. Thanks for all your help.

8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Usually when it goes it blows the fuse, also and there are a couple of things on that circut like the cig lighterand the source power for the alt. If you put the new one in and it doesn't work check the fuse, had this happen to me-replaced the fuse before changing tha actuator, then couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work.

9. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

Hello,
    I am a master tech at a local shop. The actuator on the front diff is probably the suspect. 99% sure. There was a TSB 88-95 k15 25 35 on this problem. if you go to the dealer they will give you a new electric acuator ,and an updated harness. if I remember correctly 150.00.The harness is plug and play ,except 1 brown wire from the actuator to the transfer case switch which has to be spliced in.
    GOOD LUCK
    mike

10. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

Well I got the actuator today and installed it. Still have nothing. No 4wheel drive, no lights on floor shifter, the thing is still DEAD. I also checked the fuse and it is fine. Does anybody have any ideas as to what it could be or how I can trouble shoot this problem. There are no unusual noises coming from the truck and the truck has been meticulously maintained so I am stumped. Thanks for any help

11. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I rarely use my 4 wheel drive and when I did, I found out the actuater was bad on my chevy. I got that fixed. I think I remember that you have to put the emergency brakes on and put the truck in neutral and then shift into 4 wheel drive for the actuater to start working.. I could be wrong as it has been awhile

12. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

I believe the reason for the actuator going bad is the harness I was speaking of. There is a short between the transfercase switch to the actuator. This harness also controls the light on the 4x4 shifter..
    good luck

13. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

When you shift into 4wd shift the truck into drive and reverse several times. See if that helps...Rob

14. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

Ironworks, is the harness a dealer only part or can I order it from a parts store. Can you give me a brief descricption of the installation and where this thing connects. i am willing to try anything at this point. Is there any way i can test to see if the harness that i have now is bad. Thanks

15. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

I did one last year on my truck if you bought the actuator at a dealer it would have came up on their computer with the up graded harness. I put my harness in one plugs to the transfer case and a brown wire has to be spliced in to the back connection if I remeber right (Brown to brown?). go to chevy parts.com or something like that and you may find it- if not I will try to find the slip and post the part # for you. I don't think putting in just the actuator alone will work.

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

With it being your primary plow truck I'd a went with a manual cable pull jobber.'

It allows full manual control, and thus 2L if you ever need it.

17. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

Give me a call 603-396-9879
    mike