1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 Help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Got Grass?, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

92 F-150 2WD (my fathers truck)
    Just got done replacing the tie rod ends (about to fall apart). Power steering pressure hose (leak)....

Muffler is rusted thru & tail pipe is missing (lifetime warranty on the muffler).

Now I see that the right "radius arm" bushing is no where to be found. Truck makes a horrible noise when turning the wheels or hitting a bump. I know the "proper" way to replace this is to take off the springs, shocks, axle & pretty much everything up front.

Now to the question... Is there an easy way? something that wouldnt involve removing all that & taking forever? cut the bushing & fit it over? support the radius & remove the bracket? Anything?

He is planing on selling the truck sometime over the winter & getting a new 4X4. I am just fixing it up enought to pass inspection & sell it. I figure if it's not making any major noises & runs good, some idiot will buy the thing....

:drinkup:

2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Why would NEED to take all that off, although you probably will have trouble getting everything back together without doing that.

Rear of the radius arm take off the big nut. Take the two nuts off on the axle side and replace with new rubber or uratheane bushings. check broncograveyard.com they have quite a selection of colors, types and degrees. Make sure you get the correct ones for no lift.

Howard

3. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

OK I am clueless, is there really a radius arm on 2wd drive truck. I just gave directions for 4wd.

DUH!

Howard

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Yup, It's there...
    It's the Inner one I need to replace, the outter one would be just take the big nut off slip it on & tighted back up....

The other end goes on with a bolt that also bolts the spring on.
    The shock absorber also bolts to the radius arm.

Think I could loosen the big bolt enough, slice the bushing & slip it over & on? Mabey melt it back to one piece? Tighten the nut back up & go thrugh the winter?

It's not a work truck, I wouldnt even call it a daily driver. 72k in 10yrs is LOW! Heck I'm almost 1/2 there in a year....

5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

either do the job right or dont do it at all. your going to melt the bushing back together? i gotta see this one

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Paul, you must have known my Dad, I was raised on that expression.

7. Cwlo1448

Cwlo1448 Junior Member
    from Chicago

bushing replacement

Another option is to remove the rear radius arm hanger. it is secured with 1 bolt and 3 rivets. Support the radius arm with a jack, and then grind the 3 rivets off. Undo the bolt, and voila, you can take the mount off, and replace the bushings. To re-secure the mount, you will need to drill the mount and holes in the frame for a 1/2" bolt. Then buy 1/2x 1 1/2 grade 8 bolts, and re-secure the mount to the frame. This approach will save only a little time, but will solve other problems:

1. Those rivets tend to loosen over time, and result in noises.
    2. Since the front swing arm mounting is not disturbed, you won't have to do a re-alignment.
    3. It will be a piece of cake to replace the bushings next time.

Good Luck,

Chris L

8. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I agree:D

My 1994 needs that too and thats how I was planning to do it.
    Very good description,
    Mark K

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

lol, I was only joking about melting it back together odviously as rubber dosnt "melt"...

Thanks for the advice about removing the mount, the bolts etc...
    It's gunna need a torch... Unfortunatly while under the truck I noticed a small hole in the gas tank. I put a patch on that & I'm wating to see how that holds up before, the neighbor hood goes up in flames.
    That would hurt worse than earlier today when I was under the truck & got my hair cought in the creeper wheel. You guys woulda been laughing your a$$'s off watching me try to get from under the thing, then caring the creeper on my back arround the house to have my mom cut me out...

If this patch dosnt hold up we are saying screw it & see what we can get for a trade in. $130 for a new tank & who knows what I'll run into with that... Plus it's a waste of my time.

10. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I guess you better stay home tomorrow nite........ i can't stop laughing

11. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Caught On The Creeper

I know what you mean carrying the creeper around on your back trying to figure which way you were going when the wheel rolled the hair up and in. Anyway if you don't want to cut off the rivets or take the whole thing apart is to go and get yourself a come- a- long or a load binder and after removing the big nut on the end of the rod you hook the binder or come-a-long to the frame and then to the axle on the side you're working on. Pull the axle forward until it clears the frame bracket and replace the washer & bushing. Then use a small jack to help lift and dirrect the rod up and into the bracket before releasing the binder, finish putting that side together and repeat on the other. I do almost all bushing replacements like this, and it can be done fairly well by yourself. But 86 the creeper and get yourself a good piece of cardboard to lay and slide around on.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: John