1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 gmc surban 4wd grinding

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by joeloakes, Dec 23, 2009.

1. joeloakes

joeloakes Junior Member

hey everyone
    i put my truck in 4wd and when i put it in 2wd there is a grinding sound when you step on the gas hard. like maybe it thing is trying to shift back into 4wd??? also when i shift the transfer case into netural and have the trany in netural try to get it to 4 lo or 2wd it grinds real bad. when i had the trany and transfer case in netural i tryed to shift the truck in park and it clicked like the truck was moving.
    i dont know if that makes sense but thats what it is doing. thanks with any help you can give me!!

thanks Joel:help:

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have manual hubs on that? I presume they are locked in? My guess on the 2wd grinding is that you are not fully disengaging from 4wd. Maybe your shifter linkage is bent or out of adjustment.

The grinding when you have both the case and trans in neutral is because the trans output shaft/case input shaft are still spinning. That's why when you put the trans in park it clicks. The parking pawl is trying to catch. If you want to switch in and out of lo-range put the TRANS in neutral FIRST, then make a nice smooth and quick shift with the case lever.

3. joeloakes

joeloakes Junior Member

no they are not manual hubs so they are locked in.

i will take a look at the linkage tomorrow and see if thats it.

thanks for the help thats what i was thinking.
    :nod:

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The 92 is IFS, isn't it? I was thinking solid front axle. Of course you don't have manual hubs.