1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92' Ford F-250 Custom Mount Build

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by NickDe03, Nov 29, 2010.

1. NickDe03

NickDe03 Junior Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the site, but I've been checking it out for the past few months.

I just picked up this 1992 For F-250 from a dealership last month, they received it as a trade in on a new truck. The truck is in really nice shape and runs like a top. My buddy and i made a trip to pepboys and bought everything you needed to do a full tune up only to find out that every single thing has been tuned up with in the last couple thousand miles. Both tanks were even topped off when i bought it. I think the truck was owned by a farm guy and he seemed to take very good care of the truck. it has 119k miles on it and is full auto, i figured it was a pretty good grab at $1750.00.

I decided to make a custom plow mount and hoop for my meyer plow components. The frame mount is made out if 1/2" steel plate and some 2" and 2 1/4" by 1/4" wall box tubing. The hoop frame is all 2" x 1/4" wall boxing with 3/8" plate eyelets. I designed on the fly and welded it all on my own.

check it out so far.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Looks good, nice score on the truck too
  3. NickDe03

NickDe03 Junior Member

Some more pic's. I really like the mount because it is kind of low profile. unlike the OEM mounts that kill your clearance by sitting 4 inches from the ground, this is much closer to the frame.

I am also rebuilding the meyer blade so that is why its off the A-frame.

I have attached a pic of the toggle switch mount i made that is fastened into the cup holder. now i can remove the toggle if needed

4. EliteJ

EliteJ Member

Looks Great!!
  5. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

Nice work Nick!! Lets see it all together.
  6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

That is an awsome job. I did that on a 92 ranger. Wish I would have taken pics of the build.
  7. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

The build looks great! You really did steal that truck. What a deal!:waving:
  8. NickDe03

NickDe03 Junior Member

thanks guys. I hope to have it all back together in the next few days. i'll post some pics
  9. 1982_F350

1982_F350 Member

WOW, that looks great. I just built my mount for my truck, and i wish I would have went a little more low profile.... But it works. Great job on the build, can't wait to see finished product.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

you got a real good deal on that truck
  11. tjslider

tjslider Member

Looks great!
    Love the look of that body style
  12. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good! How did you mount things in at the frame? Can't really see under there so well in your pics.

I have a couple older (89-90) Fords that I may do something similar on.
  13. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Nick the fab work looks great but I have just run out and got some pics of my f250 with the correct truck side mount. I am not trying to be negative but worried about your safety. First what size plow are you putting on this truck (weight) the reason I ask is even a 350 lbs plow on one bounce ect. speed bump. railroad track, dip in expressway pavement can increase the down force at least 10x and add to that shock load on the welds. Last season I ran over some rail tracks and the plow bounced up and broke the tube at the insert to the truck side mount. Not a great site to have a plow fold up under the truck. I was lucky on that one. From what I see you need to build some more strong supports on the frame your square tube is only welded together by weld at the 90 deg points you need more gussets to carry the force of the plow bouncing around. On the truck side mount I cant see where it is attached to the frame or how, tons of force are applied when pushing piles of snow or pushing into a snow bank to stack. Now this truck has a commerical grade plow on it and it weight is over 750 lbs. So give us some more pics on the mounts so we can help you not bust welds or fold it under the truck. Nothing is worse that a failed plow in the middle of a storm.. Eric..

SL740552 (Medium).JPG

SL740551 (Medium).JPG

SL740550 (Medium).JPG

SL740549 (Medium).JPG

SL740548 (Medium).JPG
  14. NickDe03

NickDe03 Junior Member

Eric, thanks for you reply and concerns. it is hard to see in the pic but i ran half inch plate up to the frame then 90'ed it over and under the frame and back up and bolted it to the frame, pretty much identical to the oem supports. i also used half inch plate coming down from the front of the frame, this will carry the static load and the back supports will distribute the backward energy. there are half inch gussets every where and the mount is rather robust. in regards to the hoop, i used 2" x 2" x 1/4" boxing, i also welded 3/8" gussets where it 90's up in front of the truck. You can kind of see it in the pic. I am using just a standard Meyer 7.5' blade. Nothing special, with the blade installed and my 225lb body jumping on the A-frame the hoop does not budge at all. i'll grab some side pics for you guys tomorrow. here is a pic with the blade installed with out its cutting edge on.

15. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Nick yes my pics were in the dark but I was just worried that it could fold under its not fun for this to happen trust me. Hope to see the pics soon :mechanic:
  16. NickDe03

NickDe03 Junior Member

Alright, here are some pics that i took from under the truck and from inside the wheel well. you can see in the picture that i have a support arm that is welded to the bottom and back of the box tubing, it then goes under the sway arm and up to the frame, i then have it 90'd to go under the frame and then back up to be bolted. i also have a gusset where it 90's under the frame. you can pretty much see the same thing from under the truck, but you can also see the gussets used to support the box tubing.

my next project will be a back rack to support a light of some sort.

17. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

I see something that I'll comment on. With your mounting ears pointing down, and nothing to the rear of the truck, it could be an issue. The force of the plow against the pins will be wanting to twist the square tube all the time. Think of the fact that if you hit something with the plow, you're now applying the full weight of your truck as torque around that piece of square tubing.

I can think of a few options to help disperse this force.

First would be to put another tube side to side at the rear angle of your side plate (about a 45deg angle) and then some flat stock to the tabs on each side.

Another option would be to add in a piece of heavy flat plate, I'd go just above or below the corner gussets you have there now, and then add in gussets/webs from the tabs for the plow to that plate.

Overall it looks good, it's just that having seen a few cases of what can happen when a 3-5 ton truck hits something that doesn't move, I'd hate to see those mounting tabs let go. If one of those let go, I could see it coming up into the steering linkage, the front diff cover, or the bottom of the rad/fan, and I really don't want to see that happen.
  18. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

that mount is not going anywere that is pretty darn stout
  19. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

nice work looks really good. that truck is very clean underneath, you got a great deal. :drinkup:
  20. Danlevan

Danlevan Junior Member
    from Alaska

Nice Mount

Hey bud nice mount but where are your up-stops? Stacking snow like that the plow will hit the bumper/pump won't it?:salute: