1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'92 F250 clicks fast - won't turn over - help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by radam, Nov 30, 2005.

1. radam

radam Junior Member

I replaced the starter last year and hav a deep cycle marine batt. The truck just was to click fast but it won't turn the engine over. Any ideas on what I should check first? Thanks!

2. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Starter

Where did you buy the starter?

3. radam

radam Junior Member

I had a buddy put it on and he bought it from Auto Zone. I started wondering if it had gone bad somehow.

4. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Starter

I just sold a 1992 F-250 4x4 5.7 Bought a starter from auto zone 2 weeks later gone, to make a long story short after the 3rd starter I demanded my money back, HINT: NEVER buy anything eletrical from auto zone...:nono:

5. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Check the connections. Check to see that the bolts havent backed out some and are still tight. Tap it with a hammer a few times and try to start it. Try using jumper cables from a running auto to jump the starter to see if it will turn the motor (keep the key in the off position unless you want it starting while your under there) You could also just hook up jumpers to the truck and see if the extra juice will help turn it over.

More then likely it's not the starter but the solinoid going/gone bad.

All_Clear

6. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

i agree, i belive that from the sounds of it, the starter solinoid, cheap easy fix is what has gone/ going bad, a quick test is hook the jumper cables up and trun the key to the run position and use a screwdriver to cross the connectors at the solinod, try that and see what happens

7. radam

radam Junior Member

Thanks guys, much appreciated... I'm learning.

8. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Mine only clicks fast with a low batt, or a bad connection which is very common on Trucks with the stock cables. I upgraded to 0/2gauge, but in the process of upgrading i cleaned all the mounting points.

Anyway, clean the batt terms and cable going to the batter, check to make sure a tight connection on the solenoid, then check the cable going to the starter and make sure it its good. If you are still having probs, check the ground wire going down towards the starter, clean it up, also clean up where the starter bolts to the block as that is its main ground.

Easier way would to get a trigger to crank the motor (or have someone sit inside and crank for you) and take a voltmeter and check to see where juice is being held up at.

But if you batt is full, there is a bad conn somewhere.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Hopefully when your Buddy put the starter in he got the connection right on the starter. Most will only go on right one way but people get frustrated and just put it on any way it will fit. I would try the jump the fender solenoid trick first to see if it's the starter or the fender solenoid.
    If jumping the solenoid does not change the situation it's prob the starter.