1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 f250 7.3

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by RJ lindblom, Dec 19, 2012.

1. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

I am looking at a 92 Ford with the 7.3 non NA diesel. It only has 145,000 miles.

The problem: it has been parked for about 10 years. The pickup belonged to their dad who passed away. There was some body damage to the box, which is a non issue, I will pull the flatbed off a 90 Ford F150.

I figured to get the engine running again, new diesel, fluids (oil, antifreeze) new filters and batteries. It looks like it has the ZF05 5 speed. The sellers are also saying it will need a starter. I am also guessing glow plugs will need attention.

The interior looks decent. I have not seen the pickup just several pictures of it. The more I think about it, I wonder if the mice got into the wiring. In the pictures it looks like the master cylinder still had fluid in the reservoir.

They are asking $1000 for it. Is there anything else to look be careful of... Or any other thoughts? This is a 21 year old pickup.

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

on any 80-97 ford truck pay close attention to oil pan rot, spring hanger rot, and radiator support rot.

the F250's had the twin traction beam dana 50 front axle. it is not a solid axle like the dana 60 used in the F350. the housings on these axles are known to crack at the spring perches with a small v8 over it, let alone the weight of a heavy diesel, not to mention adding a snowplow....

3. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Take a good look at it if it looks good that that's a good buy. I would think about doping the tank and cleaning it out along with the whole fuel system its well worth the time and $$ so you dont clog up a injector.

4. RJ lindblom

The front ends were always the weak link.

Good idea on the tanks. It was a farm truck by the looks of things. I didn't see any of the normal rust areas on it. It is 180 miles away, so it will be a road trip at any rate. It has the potential for being a fun project.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Where was it parked? Outside? You have to be very careful if it was outside. It would have "Lot Rot" from sitting never moving. The underside may be VERY RUSTED! Look close at the underside, the rear spring perch's can be rusted out. The frame could be rusted out big time. All the brake lines near failure from rust. You have to look at the total cost of bring it back to usefulness. Then there are the tires and brakes. The rotors and brake drums may be rusted beyond use. Then you need pads/ shoes and hardware. Look at it close. The $1,000 price sound great but what does it really need?

6. RJ lindblom

That is a lot of what I was thinking too. Lack of use is often worse than lots of use.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I just want to save a Brother from jumping into a money pit. I don't mean to throw a bucket of cold water on to your find.