1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 F150 Western Plow, alternator/power

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Drift_Extreme, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Drift_Extreme

Drift_Extreme Junior Member

Ok here it goes, Hi there, just joined have a question for you guys dont' know for sure what you are all using for trucks but anyways I bought this plow truck obviously used last year and while it worked just fine the plow really sucks the power when in use.

I have yet to check to see what the alternator is putting out but regardless of what its rated i don't think its enough.

stock alternator for this truck with the 4.9 liter inline six is from 60 to 75 amps.

I've been looking at aftermarket alternators with better amperage, i've found one that is 100 amps and another that is 140.

i guess my question is how much amperage do i really need to help with this power issue.

I put in a new battery last year and i also i've installed a secondary battery inside the cab on the floor to help but still the lights dim after a certain period of time and almost kills the truck the alternator can't keep up.

thanks for your time guys.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the search function on the blue line above here.
    Search : Charging, duel batteries - etc. It's been beat to death here. There is hours of reading on the subject.

3. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

An quick answer is go with the bigger alternator, 140 amp, but you also have to increase the power wire from the alternator to the battery. If you need help check with a good car sound shop, they have experiences on upping the charging systems to handle power for those loud sound systems

4. swmipropertymai

swmipropertymai Junior Member

have autozone test your truck while it is running and see how much draw motor is putting on your system. then check and see if its in plows normal draw range from manufacturer. i have HO alt. 2 batteries and mine still dims like hell!