1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 f-250 wont charge

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bigboss1, Feb 8, 2007.

1. bigboss1

bigboss1 Member
    from pa

so my dad has a 1992 f-250 diesel that wont hold a charge every night we have to put the charger on it when we go to start it in the morning always er er er poot :realmad: nothin if we drive it or let it run then re start it its fine but it loses charge overnight so im guessing that the batteries are just worn and need to be replaced. am i right??? let me know what you think..

2. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Disconnect the batteries and charge them then let them sit overnight. Then connect in the morning. If no start then need to replace the batteries.

Better yet, some of the newer solid state chargers would of told you that the batteries are not holding a charge. Well worth the money, small as well. I know a few people who laugh at the new ones, but unless you need jump starting power the newer solid state units are well worth the money and many times more advanced.

3. bigboss1

bigboss1 Member
    from pa

i have one of them nev little computer charers it wworks great it charges it to full then i go n start it n it kills the charge i will try taking them out n charging them thanks

4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Cool. I only say disconnect as it rules out that anything is shorted in the truck and drawing down the batteries overnight. How old are the batteries?

If you have one of the newer style chargers it should of told you that the battery was not taking a charge.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Most part stores will check the charging system for free. Just make sure the battery or batteries are fully charged when you take it there. Most of the batteries I have had die on me for the last 10 years are good one day the next dead.
    If you have a volt ohm meter you should read 12.6 or so with the truck not running and the batteries charged. Running with the lights on it should be 13.5 --> 14.5 when it's charging.
    Lights will dim when you run the plow pump, it's a huge amp drain causing a voltage drop..
    Check all your connections , clean and put dielectric grease on them to protect them from crud. Use the search function above on the gray bar. Charging has been beat to death over the years. The starter could be getting tired too if it's turning slow.

6. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Pull the negative clamp off when you are in a dark place while everything in the truck is off. If you see a spark when you tap neg clamp to neg post, then there is a small draw to your battery and can be fixed by finding where an old wire is shorting out. Maybe buy a battery master switch and mount in the cab so whenever you shut truck down, turn off battery.

7. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

That is usually the most common symptom of a bad battery (dead cell or two), but of course, since 'm not there to see it, I can't say for sure.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You need to have the batteries checked. You should not have to disconnect batteries overnight or for months at a time to maintain a charge. If the charging is OK I would bet the batteries or battery are bad. You can get what's called battling battery syndrome. The stronger battery will discharge into the weaker one trying to equal it. It will go back and forth.
    This will drop both batteries down big time. You may have a draw from a bad alternator too. Sparking from the battery when you reconnect the neg terminal can also be the draw the engine computer, clock and radio needs to keep the memory's alive.