1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 F-250 should i buy?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ChevYooper, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

I'm new here, and might be new to ford.....i know my site name might imply i like another brand.

Anyway, there is a 92-f250 with a western 7.5" pro plow on it. Everything works great, and the truck runs good. The body has seen better days (oxidized paint, paint peeling, some rust) but the frame is solid. The truck is gasoline (not sure what engine), and i am not going to do any commercial plowing, only residential (my neighbors and some friends). The guy i asking 3k for the truck, and the guy owns a landscaping business....so the truck was probably a company truck....

I can wrench, i know buying a used plow truck can be risky, but do you think that its worth $3K????

2. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

On the surface $3k sounds like a steal to me. But I have not seen it nor do I know how many hard working miles are on it.
  3. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

Yeah it really Does sound like a to good to be true. I'd be carefull so you don't end up with someone elses problems. See if you can get pics.
    Brian Porter
    Reliable Snow Removal
  4. thanks guys, im going to try and drive it tomorrow (SAT) and ill see if i can snap some pics

5. BoulderBronco

pics are good. Make sure the tranny shifts nice. Tranny, rust, miles, and engine/noise/smoke are the big things. If you have the time you could check out the driveshafts and front axle u-joints. At least look at them and see if they are obviosly bad. Ball joints also get abused on a plow truck. If they are bad that would be about $600 to fix. Just things to think about and possibly check.
  6. ok, here are some pics, ill be driving it monday....

7. more...oh it has 60,688 miles (orig) and he had a new oil pump, pan, gasket, and cat put on last winter

thanks guys
  8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'm definitely not very auto savvy in terms of repairs, so take this for what it's worth. It won't take you very long to make back the $3000 plowing driveways with this truck if it gets you through a couple seasons. My guess is that you'd get at least a few good seasons with this truck, and probably for very little cost. I've never liked anything but Fisher plows, but I can't actually say the plow looks bad at all! Let us know how it rides tomorrow, and if you take it. Good luck!

9. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

looks like a pretty soild plow / work truck . 3k is fairly good for as plow trucks go see if can talk him down. i agree with the other said def smell the trans fuild for a brunt smell or sugar sweet smell .
  10. BoulderBronco

First off that is not a 92. It is an 87-91 body. Second it looks hurting so $3k is probably fair. But again as long as it runs well and shifts well and does not have crazy rust through the body or frame I would say it's a fair price.
  11. thanks guys, ill let you know how she rides....

Sorry about the 92 typo, the for sale sign even said 91....:blush2:

12. So the truck drove great, started right up (it sat all summer).

The guy showed me a receipt for a new (not rebuilt) tranny, as well as a shopping list of stuff that he got fixed at the local garage.

Fuel Pump Relay
    Oil pan/ pump
    Exhaust manifolds
    New Cat bolts
    Valve covers
    Ball Joints
    Wheel Bearings
    Some other stuff that I'm forgetting

Total = $2600

Does this sound right for a 91 w/ 60,000 miles???? I know it was a landscape company truck, but that a lot of repair (good thing i guess)

He would only come down to about $2,800 for the truck

The plow (supposedly) is only 2 yrs old and a 7.5' Western Pro Plow.

The truck drove and ran great. Plow worked perfect, accessories work

So my question is....am i getting someone else's problems or did he just take care of it??

Tell me what you think

Thanks guys
  13. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

find out if he got a new torque converter for the trans for not stay away i 'd never want that trash from and old one going into a new trans .

most of those items are normal wear parts and common parts that are fixed on those trucks . the mileage is hard to say unless you go back and look at all the work order written for that truck for mileage that it was service at . that truck may have been a back up truck or a parts runner something like that. your stay the frame is soild and body is fair i'd say it seems to be well taken care of . and if was service that one and only garage it being sold that then your know how well its been taken care of the owner of the place has seen everything on that truck first hand
  14. YardMedic

I may have been born at night, but not last night! The plow's birthday is MUCH closer to 1991 than 2005, but if everything works just chalk it up to an eager salesman
  15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

They probably meant the plow's been on it for 2 years. If that's the case, it's not been beat too bad if that's it's only plow duty.With all the stuff that's been replaced on it I would say it's a decent deal.Just look at it real close for rust outs and leaks etc. Most times I tell people to stay away from old plow trucks.( See Big Red Drain below ) Since it sits all summer it may chew up the brakes from the rust on the braking surfaces. My truck has the same brake system on it. You have to make sure the front caliper's are greased with brake grease and the slide pins are not rusted. I take mine apart each fall and clean them up and re-grease them.When you do the backs replace all the hardware
    ( springs,adjusters and adjuster lever ) It you don't the automatic adjusters will not work and you get brake noise.
  16. Thanks for all of your help guys, im picking the truck up tomorrow.

I think i want to paint the plow, change some fluids, and grease her up good.

Would it be a good idea to change the hyd. fluid in the plow pump???

Thanks guys

PS- any advice on what to do before the snow hits, let me know :drinkup:
  17. YardMedic

Yeah, any chance you get to change out hydraulic fluid, do it! I still believe the plow is more than "2" years old as stated, so you'll want fresh stuff in their.

Maybe flush the other truck fluids, particularly the tranny & coolant. If it's been sitting idle for a while, maybe the fuel line will need a little look. Maybe drain out old fuel & flush some new stuff through there with injector cleaner, stabilizer, Mystery Oil, etc.

Good luck!