1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 Dodge Dakota

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Snowaway, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I was looking at a 92 Dakota extra cab with a 318 V8 to use as a backup truck. Has anyone ever used one, Pros/cons? I beleve it has a 6 or 6 1/2 poly Meyers plow with an E47 pump, seems to work well. The truck needs a little break work and seems to have an issue with overdrive. The owner says a mechanic told him the tranny needs to be flushed and the filter changed. Any thoughts?

Should I payup

Or should I prsport

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

That's what I use, transmission may be headed south as they aren't the best. I wouldn't be afraid though, get the transmission serviced by a dealer or knowledgeable builder in your area bands need tightened and use ATF+3/4 ONLY other oddity is that it will not circulate the fluid in park so neutral and the parking brake for cool down. Another thing to check is the plenum gasket, pull off the air cleaner and flip the throttle blades wide open and shine a flashlight down, light coating of oil is fine puddles are not it's an easy but time consuming job and not horrendously expensive. I had an issue with a couple front caliper slides stripping out on me, but a few oversized slides and I was back in business.

Other things crank the torsion bars, add timbrens, 500lbs or more of ballast, get wings for the plow as 6 or 6.5 isn't quite wide enough.