1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 chevy with hinker plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kandklandscape0, Nov 7, 2007.

1. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

this is extremly odd here.

have a 7.5 hinker plow on a 92 chevy silver 5.7l
    hooked up the plow yesterday and everything worked great, then we took it off last night after transporting it to the shop where we will need it to hook up.

we started it up this morning and it is now only producing 9 volts and when you put the lights on they dim down and then go under 9 volts. the check gage light is on also.
    we put a new alternator on it, and checked ALL wires, hooked plow back up and still doing the same thing?

any ideas of what this could be?

once again all wires look fine none were burnt nor cut.

another thing, it idles fine but once you give it power it will stall out, just like the battery died? battery tested out 14v so thats not the prob either..... this one has me stunned, anything would be appreciated.
  2. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like regulator, but isn't the regulator build into the alternator on Ford's?
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your either have a bad ground between the battery and the engine, frame and/or cab, or the plow wiring has a short in it. I'd first disconnect the plow wiring from the battery and where ever the control harness is getting it's 12V power from and start there..
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I beleive there is a fusible link in the wire comming out of the alternator. I had to cut and replace it on my 94 2500 with a 350
  5. kandklandscape0

There is no ground problems or anything, our mechanic checked everything out and everything checked out right. no idea what is wrong here.

Just took the truck out to the chevy dealer and it stalled out twice. the speedomenter jumps all over the place, the battery gage is below 9 volts, but still runs. BUT when you go 55-65 everything starts jumping, battery gage stays still though.... the oil gage not working, the speedometer at 55 65 goes to 100 and jumps back and forth, the radio flashs, it has to be abad ground?!

i am thinking of replacing the plow harness, but what if thats not it? maybe it is the computer? maybe bad alternator? dead spot? but EVERYTHING in the system is checking out fine.

disconnected plow harness to battery and it is still doing the same thing.
    wtf how can disconnecting a plow do this..... i cannot understand this at all?

i still say it is the ground
  6. heather lawn spray

High tension leads?!?

are there tests the mechanic can run at cruising speed rather then standing still?
    Did you check the truck side of the plow harness for any power 'leaks'?

Something was wiggled when the plow was first disconnected

The hood on our old 93 and 96 was so close it would ground to the battery
    We threw a piece of rubber inner tube on top of the battery to keep it out of contact with the hood
    The battery/hood 'wobbles' at 55-65 causing grounding out, but intermittently only, that's why you can't find it standing still? Look for arcing burns on the underside of the hood
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Take the plow off the truck and disconnect the harness.

Majority of these problems get blamed on the plow when the problem has been there all summer (it just hasnt shown its self yet), by hanging the plow on the truck and running it down the road you more than likely just put some stress in the right area of the truck for the problem to show up. Any installer will tell you that as soon as you hang a blade on the truck and pick it up or angle it, the body and frame will move in some weird directions.
  8. kandklandscape0

I disconnected the plow harness up to the battery, but not in the plow harness as in the wires going to the truck. should i disconnect all the wires to the truck? do you think i should get a new truck wiring harness? we disconnected the wires to the battery but not to the actuall wiring to the truck, the pos and neg lead are not connected currently, but the 9 plug or 10 plug ? not sure how many plugs come out of the harness from the truck but that wire harness, are you saying that is the harness we should take out?

hiniker dealer is saying that we caused a short when we disconnected the plow on the truck side.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You and Heather Lawn might be closer to the problem than you realize...When you said that the truck does weird things when you get up to highway speed it definitely could be due to a poor ground or connection somewhere thats moving around at higher road speeds..like the cab to engine ground that LOVES to rot off on these trucks, AND like SydenStricker also touched on, the fusible links. The fusible links are down by the starter, some trucks of that era also have one behind the plastic cover on the firewall.There is one in the charging wire coming down from the alternator to the starter AND one in the wire off the same post on the starter that feed power back to the cab (could you see a common denominator there;) ?).all these FL's love to corrode and crumble into dust..and the problem may have been there before you used the plow (like Crash935 mentioned) but the high amp draw of the plow pulling on the electrical system (battery and charging especially) may have compounded the problem. Now I know you said the your mechanic check it all out but if he's not familiar with the older trucks, these two items could easily be over looked. Also, the ground for the ECM is located on the thermostat housing..or on an intake bolt close by. Make sure it's alway good and clean too,as it will cause all kinds of weird drivability problems also..
  10. kandklandscape0

bad ground- dealer placed a ground wire from engine to frame and everything is a ok now. this is just crazy, never thought disconnecting a plow would cause this, very odd!
  11. heather lawn spray

glad to see you're up and running. Have a great seasonpayup