1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 Cherokee front air shocks

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by bdhunter, Jan 31, 2008.

1. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Anyone in the Jeep forum have any experience getting and installing front air shocks on a Cherokee?

After following some good advice in another thread here, I called Gabriel and talked to their tech people. They researched the specs on a 92 Cherokee front shock, then matched the specs and came up with a Hi Jacker (PN 49216) for an 86/95 Taurus/Sable wagon.

So my question is... anyone else have air shocks on your Cherokee (not Grand)? If so, care to share some tech advice before I purchase a pair of those Gabriels?

Thanks in advance...
  2. property mgr

property mgr Junior Member

93 XJ Could not find air shocks

We mounted a 7'0" Western cable plow on my XJ and could not find an air shock for it. I did replace the front springs and the ride is acceptable. I only travel about ten minutes in town between a few driveways and a 35 car parking lot. Plowed about 8 storms in three years with no trouble.

I would like to add air shocks if I can find them, I guess I'll have to push my parts guys harder. Sounds like you at least have a lead on something that would work.
  3. Cherokee

Cherokee Member

xj front lift

I put Grand Cherokee springs up front - solved the problem with front sag completely - follow 'jeep suspension" links to see part number recommended by FesterW

98 XJ
    6.8' Snoway MT

4. cjshloman

cjshloman Senior Member

He is right, get front springs from a grand cher, a V8 model even, it will lift you up front, then get shocks for like 2"-3" lift, try for old man emu if you want it to ride like a caddy.
  5. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

How much lift do the GC springs give you? I'm wondering, because if I put those in, I would probably get some longer shackles in back.

6. cjshloman

cjshloman Senior Member

Maybe net ya 2-4" if its a V8 grand. Depends on how many miles too. The V8 ones are the ones to find though
  7. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

2-4"?? Wow, I would have thought more like 1-2"
  8. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

When I did mine, I put a 3 inch lift spring in the front and an extra spring in the back. Works great for me.