1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9'2"Boss vxt lift pressure

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bpminc74, Feb 3, 2012.

1. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

I was wondering if ayone knows if there is a way to increase the lift pressure on a 9.2 vxt. I am having problems stacking snow in scoop position. I checked the oil levle and it's full. Seems the pump just lacks the power.

2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2 words for You..........

Chain Lift................:...:laughing:

3. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

I have 2 chain lifts and it seems to me that a hydraulic cylinder is used to lift the chain.

4. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Its all in the technique.....you have to start lifting just before you reach the pile. Otherwise the weight of all the snow is a drain on the system.

Took me a few storms to get it right and now I have no problems at all.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

New install? Still under warranty or no?

I have two for you Todd.....imitation Blizzard. :laughing:

6. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

Yeah, it's a new install by my dealer. I should take it back and have them check it out. I was just wondering if there was a simple adjustment on the pump like a 1/4 turn on a valve or somthing.
    Thanks for the reply.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There are plenty of things to cause a weak lift. Improper/poor power cable connections, weak battery, low pump pressure, a faulty motor or you're simply trying to lift too much snow. But since it's under warranty don't touch it, let the dealer handle it. Have the recheck their connections, have the battery tested and ask them to check amp draw and pump PSI output.

8. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

Thanks B&B, Going to the dealer monday morning. Let you know what happens.

9. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Have to agree

Have to agree, technique is the trick, also try going in with your blade straightened out, also will help to not overload the plow... and reduces the plow digging into lawns etc...

10. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Yeah, as said, you're just going to have to get used to the VXT. In my opinion it is under powered and a little soft in a few ways but I guess it's engineered that way for a reason. I went through the same thing you are now when I first got my new VXT ... thought there must be a problem because it seemed gutless ... but it's just the way it is. Depends a lot too on what kind of snow and how much of it you plow ... along with the type of plowing you do.
    I have a vid here on this forum that shows the pressure I tested mine at with a guage ... shoudn't be too hard to find. good luck

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  11. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

Well everything checked out o.k. at the dealer. The mechanic said they have had a few complaints like mine but it is just the nature of the beast.He tightened the trip springs a bit and said that should help some. Let you know this weekend as they are calling for 5-10 cm.

12. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

also like others have said, when going into a pile pull it out of scoop a little and then go. when in scoop there is alot of weight to far forward and the motor needs less of it to operate faster with more power.

thats whats im doing reserch on now is if i want the 9'2 or a flared 8'2 due to the lifting power and little things like that!

13. 60Grit

60Grit Senior Member

the 9'2" size is what I like best over my 8'6" MVP...the 9'2" reaching out that extra 4" on each side makes all the downfalls discussed worth it to me. I wouldn't get the 8'2"

14. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

I played around a bit today and and found that if I start to lift the plow about 5-6 feet before the pile it will work o.k. but I must slow way down to to almost crawling. The other thing I noticed is that when the blade won't lift, the lift cylinder is fully retracted in the lift position. Maybe I should tighten the trip springs a little more? Took some pictures but couldn't upload them. Kept giving me some error message.
    I agree with CJ's Outdoor, I would never again go with anything less than 9'. A few inches may not sound like much but oh what a time saver! Up here size does matter! lol.

15. 60Grit

60Grit Senior Member

I'm jealous you can even play around right now. There isn't any snow to be played with in Minneapolis. :cry: I'd like to see your pictures if you can get them to work.

16. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Yeah, don't be afraid to tighten up the trip springs some more. I tried the business card gap between the coils like most will say but was way too soft ... I probably have a 3 or 4 card gap on mine now and it's a little better though still flops over easily. Not really the best design for this plow but you'll get used to it if you ever get enough snow to really use it.