1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9'2" Boss on 3/4 chevy

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by pro, Dec 31, 2005.

1. pro

pro Junior Member
    from IN

Anyone running or know of anyone running a 9'2" Boss V on a 3/4 Chevy? The web site says it is ok, but I would like some real input. The truck is an x'tra cab short bed 3/4, with the vortec 6000.

Thank you for your input, and Happy New Year!
  2. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

I had an 8-2 Boss Vee on a 3/4 ton Chevy similar to yours with no problems except I would drag the cutting edges across intersections if I didn't move the wings forword a little to get them away from the ground. The 8-2 was just about all that truck wanted weight wise, I couldn't imagine a 9-2 on it. I always wanted to put Timbrens on it but never did, I think you will have to to keep it off the ground for transport. You will have plenty of power with the 6.0 liter. People are always wondering if they have enough power when any engine can spin your tires in the snow. A guy can have all the power in the world, but if you can't get it to the ground then your just spinning your wheels.
  3. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

My buddy has a 2004 chevy 3/4 ton crew cab diesel with a boss 9.2 on it. He cranked the bars all the way I think, added 285 tires. When carrying it around in the v position a big bump the ends will scrape. Still sags it pretty good. but if I had that truck I would have the same plow.
  4. amar

amar Member

I have a 01 regular cab and a 02 extended cab silverado 6.0L both have the 8'2" The torshion bars are cranked up about half way. Tires are 285 75 16 AT KO's
    I doubt the 66lbs would matter. If it is to much put Timbrens in the front.

9'2" is 66lbs heaver in poly, compaired to the 8'2"
  5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I have one.

Yes the tips of the edges will scrape at times going across intersections, etc.

I am about to install Timbrens....this WILL help prevent this problem.

Truck handles it just fine.

You DO need proper balast.
  6. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd do it, most V plows will scrap a little going through intersections if they are in full V. I have a 1 ton with a Fisher 8 1/2 V with the T Bars cranked up and I still hit sometimes. Just put some Timbrens on it crank up the T bars and put some ballast in the back and you should be mint.
  7. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have a 9'2" Boss Poly V on my 87 Chevy 3/4 ton. The pickup has a 454 in it so it is heavy in the front anyway. I put 3 leaf springs on the front when I put the plow on about 5 years ago. It handles it fine with about 800 lbs behind the rear wheel wells. I noticed this year that the springs might be getting a little tired because I do drag the wing tips in some spots that I didn't before. I agree with the other guys, with enough modification, (timbrens, cranked t bars, extra spring leafs, etc.etc.), the pickup will be fine. I do know that my 9'2" can move enough snow that it makes it noticeable difference over my other two 8'2" Boss V's. I would like to eventually put Boss wings on that plow just to see what it will do. I will definatly have to do something with the front springs then.
  8. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Dont try plowing a drive thru bank.
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you get an 8.2 V Boss then add the Boss wings it will be 9.10 V+
    Thats what I run on a Dodge 2500 HD with the plow prep