1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'92 5.8 stalls at low rpm

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Alpinplow, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Alpinplow

Alpinplow Junior Member

I have a '92 F-250 5.8l, EFI, w/170,000 miles. It runs smooth but will intermittently 'sputter' or stall at low RPM . Downshifting to increase RPM will keep the engine running. Switching tanks does not help so I don't think it is a fuel pump. It sometimes has a high idle and I can hear air pressure under the hood. Any ideas?
  2. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

idle air control valve. it being a 92 i dont think it'll throw a code. also check for air leaks. take a can of starting fluid and spray it around the intake boots to see if the boots have air leaks. if the idle goes wild you've found your problem
  3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

adid you figure this out yet? my 97 is doing the same thing, put it on the computer and no codes. low RPM sputters and intermitently looses power, has new plugs and wires.
  4. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

I would start with the basics and make sure your throttle body is clean and make sure there are no vacuum leaks that would instigate an idle problem.. Sounds like you may have some sort of vacuum leak..
  5. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

mine had the same problem when i bought it and the IAC was the fix for it as well!!!
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The idle air control goes bad all the time. I have put 2 on my truck in 7 years. The throttle position sensor goes bad too. An UN-lit propane torch can be used to find vacuum leaks too. Just aim the raw propane at the flanges. If the idle improves there is a leak. I would bet it's one of the sensors I mentioned above. Check the vacuum reservoir, it can be a can on the passenger side fender liner. It stores vacuum for the emissions relays.
    They rust out. It's a Libby's juice can, if you get my hint on how to fix it.