1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 3500 Overheating??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snowconcepts, Dec 4, 2007.

1. snowconcepts

snowconcepts Member

I drove my truck around today with the plow and i notice after a while of driving it starts to heat up. It slowly makes its way up to overheating to the point of the light coming on.After a while it comes down a little but not much. I went back to my shop and replaced the thermostat added some fluid and went back out to test drive. At first it seemed it helped and after a while it started to go up again not near as bad as last time but it still went up higher than usual. It didn't make no difference what position I had my plow it still go hot. So i go back to shop and took radiator cap off for a little bit thinking maybe there were some air bubbles that needed to work out. The truck shows it cooled down back to normal. Anybody have any ideas as to what it could be??? I am stumped?????
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Have you used this truck/plow combo before? Or is this the first time you've ever driven it with a plow on?

Which engine is in it?
  3. snowconcepts

snowconcepts Member

It has the 5.7 I ran the same plow truck combination last year nothing changed this year.
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like you are in need of a heavy duty fan and fan clutch. As far as the clutch is concerned, make sure it is one that can operate with restricted airflow
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's a lot of things that can make a truck go from being fine to overheating with the plow on, but check the simple things first...

Check the front of the rad to make sure it's not packed with leaves or crud.. take a garden hose and flush through the rad from the back side to clean out any debris it could have picked up over the summer..

A good cooling system flush can go a long way also....

A weak fan clutch like SL mentioned is another common one.. fan clutches get weak over a period of time and it may not show up until your in a situation where your really demanding a lot from the cooling system.

Make sure the fan shrould is in place...

Make sure the lower hose isn't soft which can cause the water pump to collapse it and restrict the system..

The last thing is a weak water pump... if it has a lot of miles or age on it you might want to go ahead and replace it..
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  6. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

very Thorough Suggestions There B&b...........concepts I Was Wondering Could You Possibly Have The Plow At A Different Height And Also That Year Gm Is Known For Coolant Passages In The Intake Manifold Getting Blocked By Crud And Corrosion Good Luck Get Er Fixed Fast Looks Like Its Getting Busier With Storms Comin