1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 3500 4x4 5 Speed Wont Shift When Hot...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BULLITT, Jul 1, 2004.

1. BULLITT

BULLITT Junior Member

the hotter it gets the worse it gets. shifting. it won't hardly shift gears releasing the clutch? doesn't want to go in gear or anything, especially in the summer it gets worse. its a 92 3500 1ton 4x4 gas 454 5 speed truck. anyone ever heard of this? its been gone thru, blead the master cylinder etc.....anything im missing???

2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Is this a problem when the transmission is warm? (after driving)

Or an ambient temperature problem. (hot day just out of the driveway and you can't shift)

How does it shift with the engine off?

Can you prop the clutch down and watch the linkage to see if the cylinder is loosing pressure.

Try pumping the clutch pedal a couple of times b4 you shift.

UP-shift or down-shift make any difference?

3. BULLITT

BULLITT Junior Member

1. problem with transmission is when it itself is warm and or its warm outside like 90+ degrees, which is often here in Kentucky.
    2. Yes on a hot day say 90degrees when you first start the truck up and the trans is not yet hot it does this and gets worse as the trans heats up..especially if pulling a trailer it heats up real fast and gets worse shifting really quick.
    3. it shifts fine when the engine is off.
    4. can't really see the cylinder loosing any pressure i also have checked that....
    5. if you pump the clutch 3-4 times it gets a tad better but not much.
    6. up or down shift it doesn't matter, does it in both ways.....

hope this helps???

4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

If it shifts fine when the engine is off. Then I would suspect that it is a clutch problem and not a transmission problem.

I am not familiar with this particular setup, but most clutches have some kind of adjustment on the fork that is actuated by the slave cylinder to release the clutch.
    How low is the pedal to the floor when you start to feel it engage when taking off in first gear?
    If it is low then maybe you need to adjust it.

If you can pump the pedal and it gets better, then I would think that you have air in the line or possibly a bad master cylinder or slave cylinder.
    But if this were the case you might find that if you hold the clutch down for a long time while you are in 1st gear the system would loose pressure releasing the clutch and sending you down the road.

This temperature thing you describe makes me think bad master cylinder.
    Fluid gets thin and seals get hot can't pump enough fluid to disengage clutch
    Or maybe contaminated or wrong type of fluid in the system.

5. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

I had a similar problem with a F250 I bought used. The throw-out bearing got cocked on the input shaft housing that it slides on. While at a stop light with the clutch in I felt something clunk in the pedal and the truck started to move forward. It wore completely through 1 of the fingers of the pressure plate because it didn't retract clear of the fingers. I suggest you take apart now before you need it in winter. Hope this helps, Rick.