1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92 1500-- swapping 4.3 for 350

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Team_Yamaha, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

Here is a strange place for me, the Chev forum. (kinda scary, j/k)A buddy of mine has a 92 1500 Z-71 short box, reg cab, with a blown up 4.3L and a 5 spd, the body is in really good shape no visiable rust. He wants to sell the truck since he also has a 97 1500 Z71 with a 350. So I was thinking about buying it, he only wants $1,000 for it. It has a new rear end and also brand new clutch with only about 4,000 miles on it, both were installed by his brother who is a ASE master tech. The problem is that if I buy it I will be putting a plow on it and I don't think that the little 4.3L V-6 will have enough power, plus my moto "too much power?? There isn't such a thing!!". So I would like to drop in a 350 and still kept the 5 spd (if possible, I don't know much about bowties). How much work would it be?? Also what components would I need?? (computer, wiring harness, ect???) The whole motor swap doesn't bother me at all, I have pulled plenty of motors on demo cars and trucks, plus his brother who Iam friends with also will help out. I just want to make sure that I not would not be putting too much money into something like this before I start. Thanks for your help guys!!
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have done a few of these.It's pretty much a bolt in affair.You don't need a wiring harness or ECM,as they are the same as the V8's.The connectors for the knock sensor and the O2 sensor are in the wrong locations,but you can open the harness and reroute them,they are plenty long enough to reach without splicing.You will need a distributor,and a PROM and MEMCAL from a V8.The EST module is the same too.Not too sure on the throttle body and injectors.They look the same (they use the same gasket),but they may have different air and injector flow rates.You will have to change the rad,and fan shroud,as you will need the larger rad for the V8.You will need to change the motor mounts,both the truck side and the engine side.

The easiest way would be to get a donor motor from another truck with the manifolds,throttle body,distributor etc,and it will pretty much drop right in.Get the mounts and rad setup from the donor truck too.