1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

92’ Slow to shift into 4WD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Oregon_Rob, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Oregon_Rob

Oregon_Rob Junior Member
    from Oregon

I find that when I shift into 4WD it takes way to long before it finely engages. Sometimes several wheel rotations and in a deep mud or snow situation, I don’t want to dig a deeper hole than I am already in. I understand there is an aftermarket solenoid solution of some kind, anyone have any details or found other ways to fix the problem?

Thanks,

Rob

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

There is a GM update to correct the problem with the "Thermal Linear Actuator", the Rube Goldberg creation they used to engage the front axle on those models. My son put it on his 97 and it engages right NOW! There is also at least one aftermarket kit that uses a manual control to accomplish the engagement.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I second what Alan said,i put the updated actuator on my 89,and it engages as fast as you pull the lever,it cost about 70 bucks with shop discount,and took about 20 minutes to put in,one wire has to be T-tapped at the harness that comes thru the floor by the T case.