1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

911 What to look for in used V box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Scag90, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Scag90

Scag90 Junior Member

New to plow site. Last 5 years I've used boss 800 TG spreader. Sick of the bags the hassle and killing my back and not to mention paying double the cost of bulk salt. I am looking at a 4 yr old salt dog v box spreader stainless 2 ton cap spreader. I need need to know what to look for in a used spreader. Owner says the convayer chain was replaced last season. I have a large contract for a private neighborhood with 7 miles of road. I'am in Dayton OH and the season is about to hit and I feel i need something that can handle bulk salt. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A USED V BOX SPREADER!!!!
  2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Some of the things I would check:

Make sure the motor runs.
    The throttle and choke electronic controller works.
    Electronic clutch engauges.
    The drag chain rolls around smoothly
    Spinner and motor drive chain spin smoothly.
    No holes in the hopper
  3. Scag90

Scag90 Junior Member

I'm also considering buying a new salt dogg poly electric. Are the electric spreaders any good? Seems to be nice having an auger rather than a belt.
  4. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

yes yes yes cant beat it for the $
  5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

they all work. just depends on what you prefer.Electric and wiring, or motors and chains
  6. TomsSnowPlowING

TomsSnowPlowING Senior Member

Keeping an eye on this thread