1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

91 z-71 chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Pushnshove, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Pushnshove

Pushnshove Junior Member

Do any of you chevy lovers know anything about a 91 Chevy z-71 v-8 4x4 Pickup its a silverado and has 110 Ks wants 2,600 ks for it. Hows it rated for snowplowing? And when looking at the truck anything to look out for and what are idiosynchrosis about this model and year? Thanks I'm a die hard Ford fan but I'm not stuck on one truck either.
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

My main question would be axle ratio. A lot of these came with 3.08s which GM put in to help gas mileage, but I prefer 3.73s or 4.10s as they give you a lot more low end grunt....
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Can always plow in low range if the gears are 3.08's. Run a tranny cooler too. Can't get one of those in decent shape for that kind of coin around here....
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Yes but 3.08 are still very poor gears for pushing and best traction low range or not. You want at least 3.73's with 4.10's or deeper even better yet for serious work.
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

How much 'serious' work would you intend to do with a 13 year old half-ton? Would I say 'nay' to an otherwise good truck because it had 3.08's? Probably not, though I would do some comparison shopping. Plowing in low range with those gears, while not ideal, would work just fine for residential and reasonably sized commercial work, plenty of grunt (3.08 x 2.61 x 3.06) is almost 25 turns of the engine for one turn of the wheel. With decent grip (posi, ballast, decent stock sized tires) it should be fine.

Maybe not first choice, but if the price is right...
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You forget the axle suspension and drive shaft loading with tall gears.The is more than just math here. Yes it might work out but side by side with a like trucks with same loadings but 3.73 or 4.10 the one with 3.08's will loose not to mention that your driveshaft, ujoints and Tcase will have to carry ar 25 to 35% greater torque load when plowing with 3.08's vs 3.73 or 4.10 which can mean shorter component life because those chain driven Tcases in the old trucks are not that strong either.