1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

91 Wrangler 4" lift Uni Mount ?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by mtnxtreme, Nov 24, 2013.

1. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

Just picked up a 91 Wrangler with 33" tires and a 4" lift to replace my 94 which is rotted into the ground and engine knocking. But it has a Western Uni Mount that is almost new. What do I need to do to install the plow on my new Jeep? Will I have to lower my mounts and if so lower how and where ? Does anyone know the sweet spot these plows like to be ? I read somewhere the mounts need to be 8-10-1/2" off the ground and or A-frame needs to be level?? I can weld so fabbing up is no problem, but need some guidance on dimensions.
    And before anyone starts telling me the 33's are too big due to a lack of gearing, I have 4.88 with ARB lockers.

2. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

i can't speak for a wrangler, but i had to do something similar for my cj7. 4" lift with 35's. i'm not familiar with the uni mount but perhaps mine was similar. i extended the frame mounts to level things out.. 5/16" plate and i added some narrow flat stock to the edges for supports, kinda like an i-beam.

[​IMG]

how it attached in the front..

[​IMG]

3. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

Nice, is there much pressure on your leaves? What are the A frames optimal height, level?

4. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

nah not really. those clamps sit right up against the spring plates too so they get a little aft support/bracing from that too. i always tried to go easy with it though, not ramming the banks and avoiding objects etc. to avoid beating up the leaf springs.

i want to say the optimal height was 8-10" or so. it did say in the manual i downloaded from western's website, but i don't recall exactly what it was. i'm sure you can download the manual for yours if you don't have it already. it should tell you in there.

i actually don't own that jeep anymore so i'm going off 2 year memories here...

5. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

blade down

[​IMG]

blade up, not much squat at all.

[​IMG]

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Mounting on the leaf springs really sounds like a bad idea all around..

7. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

that's how they were made back then.

8. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

I'm thinking of either extending my Uni Mount down or puting taller mounts on teh A frame ? Staring at it and getting nuts !

9. cjshloman

cjshloman Senior Member

Fab a giant edge.....thats what Im doing on my tj, I dont wanna do a bracket drop.

10. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

I need 6", so your saying have a big piece of steel made up to replace the edge or weld one to it, man that would be heavy, you got any pics. I wonder if it would trip more.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  11. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

Anyone else ever try this, wondering if it would act like a lever and trip the plow more ?? Good idea in theory but I'm wondering.

12. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

ya, i would think so, putting the bottom that much further down would trip it easier. could always add a spring to stiffen it up, but getting 1/2" hardened steel made in your plow width and 12" tall would cost some coin.

I have a similar dilemma on my jeep and am just going to make my mount fairly easy to remove

13. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

Ya I kinda came to that conclusion also so I 'm gonna fab up lowering plates and weld my tabs onto them, but make them so I can ubolt in summer.