1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'91 Suburban Lift Options?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by daniel_bergamini, Oct 20, 2003.

1. daniel_bergamini

daniel_bergamini Member

I bought a '91 Suburban a while ago and am slowly getting it back to 100% - well maybe high 80s. Anyway, I just had all the shocks done and installed the timbrens in the front. I believe they put in Monroe yellows. When sitting flat the timbrens seem to rest on the spring (or the other way around). I'm thinking I need to get a little lift on the front and a little more than that on the rear as the ass is sagging a little bit.

What options do I have and what will it run me from the wallet? Thanks in advance.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Timbrens may touch the springs,and not neccesarily indicate a problem.The springs may have sagged a little over the years.

You could have a leaf added front and rear,to gain a bit of height,but if you go too high,you'll need longer shocks,and maybe other stuff.If you keep it to 1-2" max,you'll be fine.The add a leaf will make a little stiffer too.You could also just add a block,or a larger block to the rear to bring it up a bit,and not have to mess with the springs.DO NOT let anyone install a block in the front,as they can be dangerous.

If you don't want the added stiffness of add-a leafs,then you could get replacement spring packs to restore the factory ride.

3. daniel_bergamini

daniel_bergamini Member

So if the timbrens making contact isn't a problem, I'm not upset about the ride height in the front. I just called a place over in Medford and they want $420.00 to add 2 leafs to each side in the back. Said I could drop it off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon. Sound like a reasonable price?

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

That sound a little steep.I know around here,most places charge $300-350.00 CDN to do it.Shop around a bit,or talk them down some.

Maybe they are including the price for new u-bolts,which could drive the cost up some.

I'd one add one leaf,two will be way to stiff,and may give you too much height.With adding only one leaf,you can probably reuse your u-bolts and save a few $$$.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I had a blazer that I added a leaf to and it lifted the truck a good 2". I had to then install lift blocks in the rear to level the ride height. If you are happy with the ride height, replace the spring pack with a new set for a 3/4 ton truck, with 3 leafs. The height will be close to stock, but handle the weight of the plow with much less drop.
    Dino

6. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

If you want to do it "on the cheap," you can go to the junkyard and pick an overload leaf out of the front of a similar truck, and slap it in. Not super-familiar with the Subs, but you may need to get a longer center pin. Otherwise, Rough Country offers an ad a leaf kit for around $170. Good Luck:salute:

7. ZR2DK

ZR2DK Junior Member

I dont know if youre familiar with Summit Racing, but they are very close to me in Ohio, and I myself have a 2000 S-10 ZR2 (no plow yet...). Point being, they offer add-a-leaf's by a company named ProComp. I only have rear leafs as I have independent front suspension, but the rear leafs, which added about an inch and a half of lift, ran me all of $27 bucks. Id check them out. Its worth a shot. Those $400 price tags seem kinda steep. Their website is summitracing.com 1-800-230-3030. Good luck with the sub!

8. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

I accidentaly quoted you the price of new front springs. The add a leaf is 70 bucks from major distributors like summit, JC Whitney, Acme truck parts, etc.