1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

91 Silverado - will not start

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SunDevil, Aug 7, 2004.

1. SunDevil

SunDevil Junior Member
    from Arizona

Ran okay this morning. Have had a problem with excessive idle speeds, and discharging black smoke indicating a rich mixture. But now while the engine cranks over, and I have pleanty of spark there is not juice in the engine.

I do not smell any gas smell at all after pumping the pedal when starting, none at all.

Does this sound like the fuel pump has died? I have pulled and checked all of the fuses, everything else seems fine, just seems like no fuel is getting to the carb, should I try and locate the fule filter? I am not sure where either is, I have not worked on this buggy before, it is my wifes...

but it is saturday, and it looks like this will be my Sunday work.

thank you for any help you can offer. I have 150k on this original part.

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

The fuel filter is on the right side frame rail about half way back.Its pretty easy to get to. If I had to guess I would say its a fuel pump which are a pain in the a-- to change.

Regards Mike

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Note that a '91 would have Throttle Body fuel injection, not a carburetor.... I don't think that pumping the pedal will make a 'shot' of fuel appear like an accelerator pump on a carb would.

When you turn the key, there should be a momentary running of the fuel pump (I say should, most EFI vehicles do this, maybe someone more familiar can verify) which you should be able to hear when you turn the key to 'run'. After you crank for a few seconds (enough to build oil pressure) you should also be able to hear the pump run.

I would be tempted to pull the coil wire and unscrew the fuel line at the TBI and put it in a bottle.... try cranking and see if fuel appears. Your answer will tell you which direction to go.

4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I would go with an old school approach to this one.

Pour about 2 tablespoons of gas right into the Throttle body (or carburetor) then reinstall the air filter.

It is very important for you to reinstall the air filter connection just in case it backfires so you don't get flames shooting out of the throttle body (or carburetor)

Then you try to start the engine.
    If it starts for a few seconds and dies then you have a fuel delivery problem (bad fuel pump, plugged filter, no gas in tank etc.).

5. towman

towman Member

on a throttle bodied engine like you have just take the air cleaner cover off and have someone crank the engine while you look down inside the throttle body, is real easy to see if you are getting fuel, and yes when you first turn the key on you should hear the fuel pump run for a second or two, you will want to make sure you are getting power to the pump before you replace it to make sure it isn;t a relay, but more than likely it is a bad pump for the are not the most reliable after about a hunfred thousand miles

6. gpin

gpin Senior Member

My GMC trucks have singing fuel pumps so you know if it is working. Tried to get replaced under warranty, they said the next pump could be worse.