1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

91 Ford Deisel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by windmill, Jun 12, 2003.

1. windmill

windmill Senior Member

OK I searched and found nothing on what I'm looking at.
    I'm looking to buy a truck for plowing and for my spraying equipment and came across the following:
    91 Ford ext cab 225,000 km (141,000miles) on the body, 65,000 km (41,000) on a rebuild deisel engine. Long box. 4X4.
    This truck is owned by a senior (verified by neighbour who is a customer)and he has really taken care of it. He is the second owner and the motor was put in when he puchased it. He changes the oil every 5-6000 kms. It uses about a litre (qt.) between changes. I would use this truck on my more open areas for plowing.
    It's a FORD and will fit in well when I retire since that is what a Ford is for For Old Retired Dutchmen:)
    Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I've never owned a deisel before.

2. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Oops. Then when I tried again spelling diesel correctly I got a little more info but I'm still hoping some of you who have experienced this older diesel might be of some help.:)

3. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Thats a 7.3IdI ,I have 1 in my F-450 its an alright engine but with out a turbo its missing that extra kick.It will be alright for what you are gonna be doin.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Like Philly said, that motor is a bit sluggish, but is a good plowing motor.

I'd be more concerned with the transmission, you don't say if it's an auto or not. I don't recall when they started with the AOD trannies, but that version was a weak unit. If it's got the old C-6 3 speed tranny, it's a stout unit.

I'd get an oil sample analysis and coolant analysis before purchasing.

5. windmill

windmill Senior Member

I'm not to "up" on mechanics but yes it is an automatic three speed with overdrive. I think he said the gearing was a 3-5-5?
    Having been rebuilt it is slightly bored out, I think it was 0.010?Boy, I wish I knew more about diesel engines. When we were kids we used to work on our cars to make them go faster but I wonder now how we did it. Probably the fact that we worked as a group, just like on this site.
    Thanks for the help so far gentlemen.
    Oh, he's asking 9500CDN for the truck (about $6,000US). The interior is like new, the outside has been bondo'd(pretty good job done 6 years ago). Barely any sign of rust. Passenger universal needs replacing.
    Pelican, thanks for the tips. Actually the owner was the first person who told me about making sure that the water was checked for chemical balance.
    Kick? The only one I need is from the wife to get me going in the morning.:) Sometimes it more like getting the boot, after twenty-six years I think she's trying to get rid of me.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

If it's an overdrive,it wouldn't be an AOD,it would be an E4OD.They were problematic when new,but most of the bugs have been worked out now,and there are lots of good parts to beef them up.

I hope the owner is telling the truth about keeping up with the coolant checking,as it's crucial on the 7.3L.If not cavitation will hammer small pinholes through the cylinder walls.It also concerns me that the block has been bored oversize.The cylinder walls are already very thin on these blocks,and boring them makes them thinner,and more prone to cylinder wall damage due to cavitation.If they sleeved it first,it will be fine.If not,you may be asking for trouble.

Other than that,the motors are great.Not the most powerful,but will get the job done.Stuff like injectors pumps,and injectors are cheap and easy to replace.I'd also have the glow plugs checked (or replaced) before you buy it,as they tend to burn up,and get stuck inside the precombustion chamber.Use only Motorcraft or Beru glowplugs,and lots of anti-sieze.

Take it to a good shop,and pay to have it gone over,especially the glow plugs and front end,as they can be very expensive to fix.Better off to throw away a few bucks to check it than throw away $9500.00 if the truck is beat.

The $9500.00 is a little high.See if you can get him to come down some on the price.Do some searching on www.trader.ca and get a better idea of what all it's worth.

7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

A friend of mine has a 1991 ford f-350 diesel rack truck. His truck ran nice and is pretty relieable. 91 is kinda old so make sure it was well taken care of. good luck!:bluebounc

8. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

That price does seem a bit high,I bought my 93 F-450 for $5000 US a couple years ago.

9. windmill

windmill Senior Member

I think that prices are a bit higher here in the west. I'm looking at another truck '96 GMC 2500HD SLE ext cab short box 130,000km (81000 miles) 6.5 turbo at 16000. I'm just not sure that I will be able to carry to chemical tanks on the truck since the second tank would likely be somewhat behind the rear axle. That's why I'm more interested in the Ford.
    By the way I offered 8500 which he kind of was offended by, however he has called a few times letting me know that he has had offers but the financing on these offers always seem to fall through. Next he will be offering cheap land in Florida? :)
    Oh well I'm not in a great rush. Thanks for the help so far.
    Is it OK to say GMC on this forum?