1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

91 f450 2x4 plow truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Team_Arctic, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

i found a truck that im thinking of making into a lot truck/ salt rig/ snow hualer

its a 91 ford f450 with a 7.3 turbo diesel and the ZF5 spd it has a almost new monroe flat body on it and it has a jasper drop in engine with about 30k on it. the trans has been rebuilt in the last 5k. the problem keeping me from buying it is that is is only 2 wheel drive. im sure that with about 3k on the bed in salt it will get traction with some good tires. what do you guys think.. its only 3 grand but it has no plow yet so i would be about 6 -7 into it by the time i instal my hoist and a blade.
  2. toyman

toyman Senior Member

Plowed with a truck similar to that. Worked great for commercial lots. Would not be a good residential truck. If your going to salt with it anyway you will have plenty of weight.

I would try to beat the owner up on the price. But if it is a clean looking, not rusty, and mechanically sound like you say it would be worth it.
  3. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

i dont know if i will put a plow on it this season yet .. just cuz i dont have the time. but i know i would be salting with it/pulling the trailers and for 3k i dont think it would be that bad. i just dont want it to be worthless when i get some heavy snow. i was thinking about a 9 foot blade
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'm looking at a similar truck, a 97 F450 7.3 turbo diesel/auto. with 157000 miles, its just a cab/chassis but this thing is spotless. I have never seen a cleaner truck! This one has no bed on it right now but it has 11ft from cab to the end of the frame rails :eek: I would like to hear how these larger 2wd's work with good tires and weight. This year I went to 85% liquid salt and plowing with a full or even half tank of brine solution, I only plow in 2wd. But I have brand new tires, and about 3000lbs of liquid and about 1k lbs of rock salt on board.