1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

91 F-250 diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bucky6981, Sep 10, 2010.

1. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

Has anyone plowed with one of these, with the 4spd AUTO?
    I am considering one but i am unsure of how reliable the trans may be??
    If I do get it, ill only be putting on a 7.6 uni-mount.

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

is it a c6? if it is they are much better than the e4od u will be fine

3. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

I have not had a problem with the e4od

4. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I have 4 trucks similar to yours. Three with around 150,000 miles on them, one has over 400,000. All have been plow trucks since new. 2 with C6 and 2 with E4OD (similar to the trans. in the powerstroke trucks)

If the engine starts good from dead cold with no ether, just glow-plugs and the trans. shifts through all the gears with the OD off working you are good to go. Easy engine to work on, very simple and reliable (don't forget cheap!) to repair.

Drain the transmission and converter, new filters, install the FORD rebuilt transmission magnetic filter in-line with the cooler. I'd buy a heavy-duty larger trans. cooler. Tons of companies out there sell them. 26,000 gvwr trans cooler for under $100.00 and easy to install. Replace all the differential and transfer-case fluids with synthetics. Change the glow-plugs, fuel filter and do normal maintenance.

Treat the truck right and it will make you and A$$ load of money that you won't be putting in maintenance and the fuel tank. I get roughly 1 gallon per hour plowing for fuel consumption in a 4-6" snow-fall.

Another very inportant issue is to flush and fill the cooling system. If you don't know about SCAs and diesels...google it. I use the GOLD long-life coolant so i don't have to check my SCA levels.

Check out the dude on Youtube with powerstrokehelp.com guy knows his stuff and a lot of the information goes towards any truck.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use hard line to plumb the trans cooler no rubber tubing ! Check all the fluids every event before you plow.
    I drove both transmissions for many,many years in ambulances. I have never had one die under me. The Ford transmission became real girlie when the 7.3 power stroke came out. The great thing about the C-6 is there has to be a million guys in this country that can rebuild them. I had mine done for $800 with one tow and taxes included. A friend of mine got 300k out of a E40D in an old ambulance with the old 6.9 diesel. A 130 mile round trip every day. It died a terrible death when broadsided by a dump truck. Hard to drive when it's bent into a V. Drive the non-Turbo diesel around for a while get used to it. Remember it takes a while for it to come up to speed. It does not build speed like a normal vehicle. Getting on the highway can be an adventure.

6. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

There are some flexible hoses out there that are the best of both worlds.

Hard-lines are less prone to leaks and ruptures than soft hoses but are more prone to cracking and rust.

I like the type of line and fittings that K&N uses on their bypass oil filtration kits. Very durable braided high-pressure hose with a sleeve. Fittings are assembled to the hose much like hydraulic hoses.

My transmissions are doing just fine so far. I attribute this to very picky maintenance, good filters, huge oil coolers and working the transmission the way it was designed. A few extra seconds taken for shifts and a few minutes to let everything come up to temperature are worth thousands in repairs.

I tell my guys to take is easy, remember that if the truck is down they aren't working till it's fixed. How much time can you save on a job by beating the crap out of your truck? Maybe save two hours per event. With my trucks it's about $200.00-300.00 a night. Breaking something from pushing to hard is gonna cost me way more than that. If we have a big storm and are falling behind, the answer is to plow smarter and bring in more equipmnet. Not push the trucks harder and faster. It's unsafe and costly in the long run.

I wash and lube my rigs after every event. They get checked over front to back as soon as we get the time. I'll rotate them out of service one at a time for a few hours of maintenance if we have back-to-back storms.

I know that I'm making more money with my older trucks and less down-time than several of my friends that run much newer equipment. Yeah, things wear out but the cost of repairs is much less when I can do it in-house. I don't need a shop full of special equipment to repair a 1990 F250 7.3 IDI with an 8' uni-mount.

7. MickiRig1

The problem with the old transmission hoses people use are the clamps. They rust out and fail. Then you lose 12 quarts of fluid and maybe fry your tranny. Braided line with fittings would be great. I always have rust out problems on the lines. Even when sprayed with Fluid Film I still have rust outs. My Wife complains I am ALWAYS working on my truck in the winter! - - No it's called MAINTAINING IT. A truck is going to take it's 10%. Be it a tire, fluids & filters, brakes something Will wear out unless it's new.

8. Plowing in Scar

Plowing in Scar Junior Member

I bought my first NEW Ford, a '91 F250 4X4, super cab, with a 7.3 and an E4OD trans.

I used my new '79 GMC K2500 with a 350 gas eng and full time 4X4 like a bull dozer and after 5 yrs, reverse went out of the tranny! That was the only problem I had with that truck 'til I retired it. It was parked at a buddy's body shop and some a-hole "supposedly" hopped the fence and removed the plow and harness!! More likely the guy who was renting the body shop (after my buddy died!) since part of the harness had been welded to the frame! So you'd need cutting torches to do the job! Plus they smashed the rear left-side window, to make it look like a break-in! No insurance on the truck, so I was screwed!

Back to the '91, I thought I'd try a Ford and loved it, ... except the tranny was re-built about five (5) times and the torque convertor replaced, probably ten (10) times!! I lost track after a while!

I remember backing out onto the street at a townhouse complex, dropping it into drive and sat there! Then the traffic light changed and cars started coming at me, and I'm reving the _hit out of the engine and I raised the plow and the truck slowly crept onto the property! I'd have to let it cool for a few mins, then go at it again! I had the heaviest dutiest oil cooler you could buy on it and it still over-heated!

After my driver had the transfer case lock up on him on hwy 404, and it snapped the driveshaft and other damage, I paid a "mechanic" $5,500.00, ... yes! you read that right, $5,500.00 to fix it. He dicked me around till the spring, but the only good thing was that he had a customer parking a backhoe at the garage, so I had access to that every snowfall!! Probably unbeknownst to the owner (of the backhoe!).
    After I paid out the CASH!, dick-head left out a gear for the speedo, and mis-placed the cable, so it shifts hard! The brakes are bad, even the dealer couldn't figure out why they're spongy and they don't recommend putting the truck on the road!! And of course, while the truck was at the "mechanics" someone stole my front lic plate, some lights off the back, broke the right side mirror off the door, smashed the glass on the left side mirror and scratched the door and dented the left front fender!!!!!! Sorry!, vehicles left at your own risk!

I won't say it was: Valmount Auto, on Kingston Rd. but Dal would much rather be out drinking than in working! Sometimes he could do good work and other times ... (go back and read what he did to me!).

Ford, apparently, had a fantastic tranny with the "C6", so why did they have to improve it?, probably because of the electronics!!

Anyway, I'm hoping to turn the '91 in on a 2011, reg cab and 6.2 L gas engine (about a 390 hp for us 'old timers!') and get my $3,300.00 (hopefully) from the gov't, $1,000.00 for being a Costco member and whatever other incentives my leasing guy can come up with, along with an 8.5 Fisher V-plow. What do you guys think? Painted or stainless blade??

I'm going to plow with the '03 since I've put some of the dents in it and my driver will get the new one, because he's more careful than I am!! And it'd be nice to take a girl out in a dent-less truck!!

There's an ugly rumour we can expect more snow this winter than last! Man, I got spoiled lst year!!

9. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, however it looks like ill be going in a different direction...

Most likely gonna be a half ton with a 351 and an auto 93-94, are these trans any better?

I have pretty much always plowed with a stick shift, but its gettin a little tough on my feet.

10. MickiRig1

Those year trucks should have the E40D or maybe the AOD in it.
    I can't remember ever having a C-6 die under me. Other then my truck's. It fried because I lost line pressure when it popped a line . I only had 6 qts of fluid with me at 3am.
    The transmission's seemed to become girlie about 1994 1/2 when the Power Stroke Diesel came out. I was assigned the first 1994 Power Stroke Diesel Ambulance the company bought. It took 3 months and 7,000 miles to pop the first transmission. We have an extra rebuilt transmission in a black shipping case. Sitting ready to go into the NEXT one that fry's a tranny. Most of the kids I work with "drive them, like they stole them"
    Use the search function on the gray line above. Search: Plowing with a 1/2 ton. It should have some reading about the draw backs and what people have done to the truck to get the job done.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  11. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

Ok i had a 91 F250 with the 7.3 and a crap e40d....i was running a dana 60 up front out of a 79 f-250 4" of suspension, 38" super swamper tsl's and an 8' meyer poly....The truck factory did not have a transcooler....i put 2 auxilary trans coolers in the grille and it kept that trans more than cool..