1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

91 F-250, 4x4 will not engage??????'s

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jiriki87, Nov 12, 2003.

1. jiriki87

jiriki87 Member

I recently purchased a 91 F-250 4x4 with 8 foot Western. For the life of my I cannot get the 4x4 to engage. I can get it into low 4x4, it's in atleast with the gear reduction, but I'm not getting the front tires to engage. Any suggestions would be great. Are there vaccum engagements aswell as the mechanical linkage?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Peter

Anyone in CO or surrounding areas want to buy a Hiniker 8 foot V-spreader???

2. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

There is no vacume on your model if it is the manual t-case which you said it is. I think perhaps you are confused. If you can get it into 4lo then you can get it into 4hi because you have to go through 4hi to get to 4lo. As the lever site all the way forward it is in 2hi. The lever should be perfectly perpendicular with the truck/ground. You then need to pull back to get to 4hi. Then to get to 4lo you need to push down a little and pull back even further. But if you are engaged in some way and your not getting any drive your hubs are bad. If you have autos they fail all the time and are easily replaced with Warn Premium manual hubs for about $100. If they are manuals they can also go bad and the same applies with the Warns. The best way to test if your hubs are locking is to put the t-case in 2hi or neutral and turn the front driveshaft. If you can turn it and you see the axle turning then you have bad auto hubs. Same is true with the manuals when they are locked. Hope that helps.

3. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Maybe a dumb question but you did lock the hubs first right?
    The transfer case will act as nuetral with the hubs unlocked but will move in 2wd in low. I recently blew a rear u joint and the transfer case in 4 high differentiates (sp?) between the front and rear in hi but not low. Same as a open differential if you take one tire off the ground it won't move.

If you have auto hubs or did lock in the manuals then do what was previously suggested.

4. jiriki87

jiriki87 Member

I'll go and rotate the front driveshaft tommarrrow. I really hope I don't need to pump more money into this project truck. Overall a good truck, didn't pay too much for it. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks,
    Peter