1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

91 Dodge Ramcharger - Plow truck Project - need advice

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by rsails, Mar 9, 2010.

1. rsails

rsails Junior Member

I just purchased a 91 Ram Charger 318 engine all stock with 61k miles. Truck was from AZ and is not set up to plow.

I have plowed with f-350(Meyers), jeeps and Ram Chargers(snow way) and just love how versatile the Ram Charger is for plowing. I mostly do driveways and some commercial lots

Looking for advice on how to build a great plow vehicle out of this Ram Charger.

-What type of plow?
    -Should I raise the truck?
    -Trans cooler?
    -Other suggestions
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd put a Vee on that thing. It would be a driveway weapon. Change all fluids to full synthetic. Big tranny cooler.

A lift is up to you, but you can probably run 33's like it is.
  3. rsails

rsails Junior Member

Any suggestion on the type of trans cooler I should buy
  4. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Get an old '79 to '74 sno-fiter hydraulic plow setup.
  5. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

no lift...aftermarket tranny cooler....a nice v would be nice...lethal plowing weapon

any further help....were going to need pictures
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Stacked plate cooler. They are much more effective. Do NOT buy a used one. They are (almost) impossible to flush. You don't want anyone else's junk in your tranny. Put the stacked plate in front of the radiator. Plumb the cooler so that the hot fluid comes from the tranny to the big add-on cooler. Out of there into the cooler in the radiator. Back to the trans. This is important to help the trans get up to operating temps sooner. You can put a cover over the cooler and take it off for plowing and towing. Or Wheeling :D

What he said. :nod:
  7. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

That truck is only a 1/2 ton and a V would be heavy on it. If you have the money to do it, I would put a straight 7.5' blade on the front and a back blade on it. It would be very good for doing driveways. I run many of that era truck and have not had any trans issues. The 94-02 years are another story.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Look for a smaller V plow Western and a rear plow. During the summer months find a rusty w250/350 and swap some axles and springs. There is a 93 Ramcharger running around here with the v blade in the front. Heck if you can put a Cummins in one the a V blade will be lighter!!
  9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

If I were you.

Just put lot lot lot rustproof underbody they get rot so bad when in salt season.

For me I would go with Metro's Idea.
  10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

V-plow and a rear blade. Talk about a driveway killer!