1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

91 D-150 distributor indexing

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Sentra, May 3, 2002.

1. Sentra

Sentra Junior Member
    from IA

Im having trouble with a '91 D-150 and I wasted $130 at an auto electronics shop.

I searched the internet and found dodgeram.org they have TSB's online that are from heaven had I found it prior to my stop at the shop.

My symptoms are: surging, bucking, or intermittent missing.

TSB 18-16-92Rev A, states to adjust the distributor indexing.

In order to accomplish this I need to get the number one piston to top dead center. And with a voltmeter attached to the distributor, bring the engine clockwise(from the front) until V6 lines up with the zero on the timing chain case cover.

then I loosen the distributor and turn it slightly to get voltmeter to 0-5 volts...

Anyone familiar with this process?

Turning the engine clockwise? Do they mean cranking over slightly?

And Im unsure how to attach the voltmeter to the distributor, it is listed on the TSB but I was hoping someone familar with this could share any experiences with me.

Thanks in advance