1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

91 Blazer capability ques.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by KingDuramax, Dec 26, 2006.

1. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

Would a 91 Fullsize blazer handle a 8ft Western pro plow?
  2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I bet it will but be over weight on the front axle.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, It'll definitely handle the weight with a few hundred pounds of ballast in the back but she's definitely gonna be over on the front axle GAWR. Most of the Blazer's in that era had a 3120lbs front axle rating.
  4. KingDuramax

That is what I thought. I was thinking of upgradeing the front springs. Use either 3/4ton leaves or just some ad a leafs to the stock half tons.

I have the plow and seen a deal on a blazer is why I asked this. For right now we don't have snow. So no need for a back up truck..
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you want to dig around a local junk yard for a set of front spring's look for a 3 leaf spring pack. Your Blazer will only have a 2 leaf spring pack. The 3 leaf pack's came on the 1/2 ton's with the heavy duty suspension option and on the 3/4 tons. So it doesn't necessarily have to be a 3/4 ton to have the heavier spring's under it. An add-a-leaf would be fine too. You could also put an add-a leaf in a 3 leaf spring pack if you think your kidney's will handle the rough ride! :cry:
  6. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't a 91 K5 blazer have a torsion bar frontend same as all 88 and up gm's no leaves to add? . I have a 8ft western unimount pro on my 98 1\2 gm pickup with a few turns on the T-bars and plow bump stops it only drops 1\2-3\4 a inch . it handles fine other then my worn pitman& idler arms binding when I am at a stop
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Blazer's and Sububan's still used the old style body up until the 91' model year.They didn't go to the newer style bodies with the IFS front end until 92'.
  8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 79 K-5 blazer that had an 8 Foot heavy diamond on it. No problems at all. Just put weight in the back. I plowed with that tank for 6 years or more.
  9. KingDuramax

Sounds like if I get it I will put it on and see how it handles. Then If I need to I will modify it.
  10. KingDuramax

I have a 84 3/4ton out in the field that the body rotted off from. So I can get the springs from that.
  11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The truck will have no problem with an extra leaf or so. Proper maintenance (ie: keep a greasegun handy, etc.) is the key to a long life with these trucks.
  12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep you can, just be sure and check that they are the 3 leaf spring pack's.
  13. KingDuramax

Yes I have owned about 10 K5 Blazers in the past Every year just about from 72-89. Never plowed with them though. Yes the greese gun is always handy. Keep the balljoints tierod ends and U joints lubed and no water they last for ever.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  14. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

put a axle truss and 1ton springs and i wouldnt be scared to put a 8 footer on it..:drinkup:
  15. KingDuramax

1Ton springs are longer bolt hole to bolt hole so there is some fab work involved in that. We'll see what happens.
  16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I think wirenut meant use 1 ton FRONT spring's not rear's.
  17. KingDuramax

I realize that. The front springs on a 1Ton are 56 inches and a 1/2 or 3/4 are 52 inches.
  18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually the FRONT spring's are all the same lenght between Blazer's, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton's 73-up. It's the rear spring's that are different lenght's. All 1/2 ton's and blazer's used a 52" rear spring as did MOST pre 80' 3/4 ton's.All 1 ton's used the 56" rear spring.
  19. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Just use a couple of leafs out of the 3/4 ton springs.
  20. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

fyi plow people. old style solid axle chevys used the same leafs after the main in the front. the factory just added 2 or 3 total to make the gvw. and then if 3 it had longer clips for the spring clamps.

so if you just get longer ubolts and center pins. then you could just add from a diffrent pack to the ones in your truck. then no messin with spring eye bolts.

also only diffrence in axles from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton is 1" bigger rotor / backing plates. and 2 extra lug studs to make 8 lug.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2007