1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

91 250 DODGE W/diesel

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Oct 29, 2007.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Just found the deal of the week. A 91 250 Dodge diesel RCLB 4X4 5 speed. Body and drive line in good condition. Truck only has 150miles on it. So what are the common wear points on this truck. Anything to be aware of? I am familiar with chev and gmc of this era but a little green with the Dodges. Have heard great things about this truck, just want to make sure about it before I sign the cheque.

Oh by the way $4000.00 or best. Wife says it has to go and 3500.00 will take it. The only bad point is the 5speed trans, don't care about the extra effort but what is the gear ratios like for reverse??

2. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

First gen dodge diesel are great trucks. There were some changes made in the middle of the model year, in 91.5 they started putting an intercooler in among other things.
    I'm not sure on the gear ratio of the tranny in reverse, but one thing you'll definately want to do with that tranny is over fill it by about a quart to help it survive. That price is really good also.
    Common wear points that I can think of off the top of my head, door hinge pins, sometimes the heater blower won't blow like it should, thats all I can really think of.
    The front axle will be a King Pin D60, the rear a D70, NP205 Tcase, Getrag 350 trans.
    For more info check out www.dieseltruckresource.com and www.cumminsforum.com
  3. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

There are a few things I know of on these trucks, 1 is the body, check underneath to see if it has started to 'Melt' yet. If the previous owner has keep the body oiled then it should be good. 2 The trans. is the weak point on the drivetrain. If it feels solid shifting and has 3:54 gears, make sure you plow in low range, buy a bigger cooler and install a temp gauge. I have a 93 auto and just made a deal on another 93 auto, because the body is rotten on the first one. They ride like a lumber wagon but are very easy to fix, the burn less fuel than a newer truck and when you start pushing big piles you will really appreciate the inline's torque!. The motor will last almost forever given proper maint. Axles and t case are all good heavy units, and easy to find parts or replacements for, the front end is also easy and cheap to rebuild, body parts can be had cheap used or new. They are my personal fav. plow truck peroid! Do you mean 150,000 miles or 150 miles???

P.S. sorry I just remembered the Getrag: x2 on the overfilling the case, South Bend makes a good replacement cluth for your truck! Everything else remains the same. Keep the body oiled!!!!
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Had a better look at the truck the other day. Still up in arms about it. The truck exterior body is good but the underneath is a little soft. The overall condition of the truck is average although the engine has a covering of engine oil and dust all over it. Im sure with a little clean up and heavy undercoting she would make a serious snow pusher. Made a mistake the truck was built dec of 89(11 89) making it a 90.

Any other issues to look for?? Thanks for your help

5. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

If the cab mounts are good but the floor has a few small holes you can probably repair the holes, To me the cab is most critical and most work to replace, front clip and box are easy to replace. steering shafts are prone to get excessing slop over time, there are fixes for these, and the rotary injection pump have been known to fail, but not that serious, $800-1000 will get a replacement. Run a good fuel conditioner and have the valves adjusted, keep fuel, air and oil filters clean. They are awesome on fuel , and their simplicity and heavy drive train lend themselves well to plowing. Even if the cab is fixable and not a total loss, if the price is right, buy it, you won't go wrong with it as a plow truck. You know you could probably convert it to an auto if you really wanted one.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  6. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

another weak point is the "rag joint" coupler down by the steering box. they get sloppy and they are obsolete from the dealer. only option is a borgeson steering shaft. they are around $200. dodge's wiring leaves alot to be desired too!!! check the rocker panels they come off the assembly line rusted!!LOL