1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

90Watt Whelen Hide Away Strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by I RocDuP I, Nov 28, 2012.

1. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

Hey Everyone,

I just bought a 90Watt Hide Away Kit and Im having a few problems. I Drilled out my one headlight and wanted to see how it would work in there before I drilled out my other one. So i ran all the wires for the power unit and for the strobe itself. Hooked everything up and the unit turned on but the strobe would not. I checked all my connections, continuity in every wire but still cant get the strobe to power on. If I hook it directly up to the power unit it will turn on and go as normal. I have tried the other wires and are still having the same problem. Anyone have any idea?

2. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Heres my suggestion. Follow the instructions and then see how it goes. Strobes are easy to install but take time and usually if you have not done it before up to 6 hours for a 4 strobe kit. Check all wire orientation when putting the pins in the connectors, be sure to run the right size fuses, etc.. Good luck and take your time.

3. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

I have rechecked everything multiple times. I have even redone the connections. I ordered the strobes through your website. Didn't know you were a member here. I have checked continuity through the wires so I know they aren't broken inside the casing. I have used an inline 15 amp fuse like the instructions said. Have the switches wired correctly because everything works as normal when you hook the strobes up to the power unit. Its just I cant get any of the strobes to turn on when there hooked up to the wires running to the front and rear of the truck. Im stumped at this point.

4. Strobesnmore

If the system works when you plug the strobes directly into the power supply then sounds like you have a shorted cable that is causing the system to shut down. Try activating on the 1 and 2 outlets and one strobe connected via the cable plug then into outlet 1 and see if they work. If you get to one and it stops then that could be the bad one.

5. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

I have just tried that and still no luck. The one strobe thats directly connected will still light up but the once to the wire will not and im positive the wires are connected correctly.

6. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

cables grounded properly?

7. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

Yes I have the unit grounded to my frame. As for the cables them selves everythings hooked up but the Drain Wire on them

8. BrandonSRH

BrandonSRH Junior Member

Maybe for some odd reason you need them all connected.. 6 Hours for 4 strobes! it took me maybe 2 1/2 hours the first time I did a set.

9. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Have you tried all the cables you have? were the connecters already on when you got them? If not it sounds like you have the pins put in the wrong spot. this is why I switched to LED hideaways no more power pack and running all these wires to it. Thumbs Up

10. Strobesnmore

Send it right back to us and just be sure to write repairs on the outside of the package so it can clearly be seen. We will take care of it.

11. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

I figured it out. It was a coincidence that I ran all of the wires the same way. I thought they had the same end on both sides but they dont.Just reversed all the wires hooked the connections back up and bam everything works. They should have that labeled on the wire with a little tag saying which end runs to the power pack and which end runs to the light. Thanks for the help everyone

12. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

........ lol

13. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

Yea I know well I thought both ends were the same and I was positive that the connections were made right, as in the sequence of wires. Im surprised even with the wrong end of the wires they were able to connect normally.