1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

90s Chevy with Boss 8.2 V Advice on 3/4 vs 1 ton needed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by fcbob, Nov 23, 2013.

1. fcbob

fcbob Junior Member
    from none

Backstory - I have been running plowing with a 1994 Chevy Suburban ¾ ton for the last 3 years. I am in central South Dakota and we can get some serious snow especially with drifting. I use this to plow my own drive way which is about 700 ft plus I do a couple parking lots for businesses owned by friends. It has an RT2 Boss V plow and even though this plow is a pain to take on and off it is a in great shape. I bought the whole rig for $3500 and it has served me well. The suburban was always the throw away part with 270,000 miles on it and a 454 which absolutely guzzles gas. Reverse just recently went out and I do not want to replace the transmission. I have never really liked plowing in the sub as the visibility in reverse is awful.

So I would like to move the plow onto a 90s Regular cab Chevy/GMC 2500 or 3500. I could also use a dump-bed. So I am in need of some advice. I can not seem to find a 90s reg cab 3500 within 800 miles, but I have located five 90s reg cab 2500. All of which serve my purpose for just the v plow. However, I also found 97 3500 dually flatbed with hoist being sold for parts, because the frame is broken. It doesn't have bed sides, but I can build those easy enough. The motor and transmission are already gone, but everything else is there, most importantly the flatbed with hoist! I am fairly certain I buy it for around $1200. The question is a ¾ ton big enough to handle a dump? I shouldn't be hauling rock or anything like that, but you never know. Mostly it would be used for the standard stuff tree limbs, leaves, grass, that kinda thing. So what do you guys think? Am I nuts? I am pretty sure I can bring the whole project in for under $5000. I think that is a decent price for what I would have in the end, if a 3/4 is big enough that is.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

To give a short answer no your 3/4 could not handle the dump. Just in quick math your tk is only rated to carry approx 2000 lbs. I'm sure the dump assm is real close to that. Now upgrading to bigger rear end and springs you might be able to get away with it.
    The only part I'm not 100% on is the frames. I know that a gm 3500 has a double frame at the back of the cab to the front area of the gas tank. I'm not sure if a 2500 doe. So that would make a difference