1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

90's chevy gussetts

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 6.5chevyTD, Sep 22, 2010.

1. 6.5chevyTD

6.5chevyTD Junior Member

anyone know where these gussetts get welded or have any pics?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Same location as the '99-newer trucks because they all break in the same place.....behind the upper rear control arm bracket.

Broken.JPG

3. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

What year chev's are prone to this?

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Haha. Where do you want to start. Started way back in the 80's. Here is my since gone 85 Chevy.
    Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

That helps, is this due to a heavy plow up front ? or dare I say abusive driver?

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Nope, just your typical junk that the auto manuf. do not listen to the customer. Do a google search on Chevy frame crack and Chevy steering box brace. As I said it goes way back with Chevy from 73-87 and the new trucks as B&B posted as well.
    T.J.

7. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

My old 85 K10 frame broke in the same place as in the above pic and my frame damage was caused by the plow. I was traveling down a back street during a storm when I hit a dip in the road, the blade went up in the air (Fisher) and came down very hard. I pulled the truck over and looked under the hood and saw the crack along the top of the frame, same as in pic.

8. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

SO MUCH FOR TIMBRENS HELPING.:dizzy:

9. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

So my 89 chev 3/4 ton should be safe from this happing? Last year the steering box bolts broke and I looked
    the frame over then and noticed nothing , this year I removed the meyers poly and installed a boss V plow and
    and I know the boss plow weighs more, just planing ahead for future problems

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, all the past generations can suffer from it, the pic I posted is of an '88-'98 truck for example.

Most of the determining factor to whether they break or not has to do with or be a combination of several things. The lift means (chain or direct), road conditions (sever frost heaves for example) and of course how the operator uses (or abuses) the truck. Some guys can run a truck all through it's useful life and never break a frame...others can't make it through an entire season. But adding gussets (or boxing on the 73-87 trucks) is a good idea as preventative measure regardless.