1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

908 Cat Loader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mullis56, Feb 6, 2009.

1. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Anyone use one for snow? What type of pusher works? What width of pusher works? I think it is like a 4x4 backhoe and that is about it.

2. gary42095

gary42095 Member

you are using enough equipment to know what size machine can push what... those loaders are small. i don't use one but i would imagine a 10-12ft pusher max. it would be just like a mid large size backhoe with the advantage of more traction, and articulation. so it will push better than a hoe, but not necessarily any wider? this is my assuming. not sure how it compares to a volvo l40? or maybe it was a l50 i drove and it felt like the brakes were on all the time the way the transmission was didnt run it long and was happy i didn't just my $.02

3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

An L40 volvo is a Hydro. An L50 is not. Volvo Hydros are terrible slow. Top speed maybe 13 to 14 Mph going down hill. L50s on up are gear driven, and the L60F we had last year could do over 30 MPH.

As for the Cat 908. If you get a new one. It wont be a Hydro, It will be a gear driven. It will travel faster. Upwards of 25 Mph. The older 908 will only go 12MPH.

You could easily handle a 12ft Box with a 908. But if you buy an Arctic you could run a 12ft HD or a 14ft LD. No problem at all. We run 10 and 12 ft Arctics on my L20Bs and we have no trouble at all.

If you are running protechs or any other brand, then a 12ft is going to be big enough.

Arctics push easier than the other brands.

J.

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Most important factor is loader weight. More weight equals more push.

5. Loaderpusher

Loaderpusher Member

Both of our L40Bs will do 25 mph easy, and not just going down hill. I have run CATs, kawasaki, CASE, and JCBs, I like the Volvos best. The Hydro-static trans is great, seems to be easier on the machine. You dont have to use the brake much and you are not going form forward to reverse while still moving. The machine does a lot of the stopping on its own. We run 10 ft box blades on our Volvos and they have no problem pushing them, but they also have 20 more HP and weigh 3,000 more pounds than the CAT 908. The only proplem I have is pushing a lot of snow up loading docks due to slipping alot going up the steep incline. Their is a big difference between our 10ft and 12ft box blades, obvi the lenght but they are twice as tall. Havent tried the 12ft on the Volvo, that one stays on our CAT IT18

6. Craaaig

Craaaig Senior Member

i would use a 10 or 12' JMO

7. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

How are you getting 25mph out of a L40B? Guys that have had them here HATE them due to poor ground speed.

J

8. Loaderpusher

Loaderpusher Member

put it in 2nd gear haha.... the 2000 only hits about 21 now, she has gotten slower over the years, but the 2007 hits 25 no problem.

9. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Dealer has an L45B that will only go 12MPH and it over heats if you keep it there for more than 2 miles.

J.

10. Loaderpusher

Loaderpusher Member

sounds like you need to come to michigan to get your volvos, we have driven ours for a hour drive to get it to a site if our low boy is too busy.

11. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Nope, We will stick to the Iowa volvos. Michigan ones will just cause us problems.

J.

12. Loaderpusher

Loaderpusher Member

Sounds like your the ones unhappy with the volvos, I havent had any major problems with mine,

13. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

if you go to protech sno pushers site and select a pusher it will tell you how big the pusher can be based on the rated operating capacity

14. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

I have a Deere 244J 12K-LB machine...works great tremendous snow machine. I run a full size Pro-Tech 10' pusher. Prefer the narrower width and taller size...capacity it about same size as a 12' skid-steer/backhoe model with more compact length.

Good Luck

Dave

15. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

because you already have backhoes with push boxes, get a blade on that mini-loader if you end up buying one. another 10ft pusher in your fleet doesn't seem practicle bu ti've seen severalguys around my area use blades instead and love. have no personal experience though

16. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Redman - I like that thought!

17. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

and actually you probably could use a 14 ft blade which will give you an extra 4 feet. i cant see these amchines handling anything above a 10 ft pusher and even then, with wet and heavy snow, i bet they still struggle because it has no weight, where as with a blade (and maybe wings) you can clean up and team up with your already existing 10-ft push boxes that are on your backhoe