1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

900k parking lot

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by snokane, Sep 19, 2014.

1. snokane

snokane Junior Member
    from Spokane

Please help me bid this job. I am new to commercial plowing.

I would really appreciate any information you can provide.

2. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

What do you have for equipment and how many people would you have helping you? What's your average snowfall for the year and how many events are there average?
  3. snokane

snokane Junior Member
    from Spokane

I have 6 trucks. The average snowfall is approx. 48in per year. 51 snow events per year that are at least 1in. I am just looking for a starting point; IE, time to plow, average-below average price range as I am new and looking to get customers. I appreciate it GC.
  4. snokane

snokane Junior Member
    from Spokane

I know my math doesn't exactly add up, but those are the numbers I found for Spokane County.
  5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

20 acres isn't a good lot to get your feet wet on. When, not if, but when you fail there would be severe financial consequences brought on to you by the customer. Move on. Start small. Work your way up to this.
  6. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

You don't have any skidsteers or loaders?

DERHNTR Junior Member

That's a bunch of plowing. We get 60-80 inches in my area and only have about 10-12 plowing events on avg.
  8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You'll need to have an understanding of their SOW/spec's before you can come up with numbers. What kind of place is this? Looks like a storage facility of some sort. They normally don't have high-end expectations.

I'm kind of with Mr. 29...this might not be the best place to begin your training.
  9. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

i bet he can do it if he stacks salt on property with a diesel tank. he can probly rent a couple loaders for 3-4k per month. if he goes to the bank with a signed contract they will lend the money for pushers. just make sure you hire people that know how to operate. yeah its a huge account to wrap your head around but just print it out on a huge piece of paper and mark areas where people will be working and hope you dont have to clear all the doors.... it'll be super difficult but not impossible.
  10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

What would YOU put on this lot to get it cleaned within a reasonable timeframe, IE 5-6 hours?

This is NOT a lot to get your feet wet on. You need a good bit of experience with 5-10 acre lots before you think about this...
  11. Patrick3494

Patrick3494 Junior Member
    from Chicago

I'd say you need two loaders and a skid
  12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

One loader 2 skids

Or two trucks and a loader

FISHERBOY Senior Member

try 75,000, then see what they say, if they ask you to do better say you can do it for 70,000, if not maybe walk away the risk is not worth it

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

You need a minimum of 2 machines in that lot with pushers and a truck or two for cleanup. Is it just the parking area or all around the buildings to the right. If that's included than a skid or another truck helping out. With that your looking at 5-6 hours plowing time. Like others have said this is a large lot to start out with.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have 6 full time rigs I been doing this for long time I wouldn't even bid on that unless that's only lot I have to do

Looks bigger then 20acres
  16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

And we wonder why we get such a bad rap.

Walk away, learn, grow, become a leader within you area and you'll be turning down jobs.
  17. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Snokane - Listen to this^^^^, he's trying to save you a lot of trouble.
  18. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

do your research, and you can do it. people are scared to take risks, it could either be a nightmare the entire time or you could do well and make some good cash.
  19. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

3 Loaders with 20 Foot Pushers.....6 skids and 9 Trucks and a walk crew of 50.....:nod:.....:laughing:
  20. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

So........What doe's your "Research" tell you on this lot????.......:confused:

If you need to come on an internet fourum and ask for pricing help and equipment suggestions I don't think any "Research" at this point is gonna help you price and service this account to the standards set fourth at this time....This is just my opinion and im sure I will be told im a Loser by some of the "Experts" on here....:eek: