1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

90 power ram rebuild??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MnM, Jun 20, 2006.

1. MnM

MnM Senior Member

i have a 90 power ram 250 with a western plow mount, no plow and a 8'V-Box in the back. I am thinking of reviving it with a fresh 360 and maybe trans. I want to know peoples opinions about rebiulding a old truck or getting a newer one. I alraedy have the truck, new tire, lift and air bags in the back. All I would have to get is a plow, motor, trans; I estimated 5 grand. What would you do???
  2. MnM

MnM Senior Member

I guess no one knows how to rebuild there own truck??
  3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I'd go for it. I am in the process of figuring out all the little problems on my '87 Ram W150. If you like doing the work then go for it. Seems like you have already put some money into the truck, so why not just finish it off? Older trucks that are maintained and rebuilt properly can be a lot more reliable than some of the newer trucks, but at the same time can also be a real pain. Older trucks are easier to work on and require less computer type things that the common backyard mechanic can't do. JMO
  4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

we have a '91 and its running well not like it used to and i dont know if id go as far as rebuilding everything but let me know how it goes with yours

RODHALL Senior Member

It depends on you and well you know auto repair.

I built a new plow truck in 05, and did everything but the transmission my self. I had roughly $5500 in it when I was done, but I know what I have in an older truck. I also had to replace all the body (a $500 2wd)

I prefer the older 81-93 trucks to the 94 up trucks. You can’t get a “new Truck” for the cost of rebuilding an older one, unless you have to pay someone to do the work.

Long block from advanced auto parts is $1400 ( you need valve covers & oil pans and the intake) I just put one of these in a buddies Ramcharger.
    Transmission $550 rebuild
    Transfer case rebuild $159
    Rears Seals $150
    List goes on

I don’t know what your looking for But I have a 7 ½ myers set up here that would need a new pump, A 727 that would be good for a core, a transfer case, and motor.
  6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My buddy is driving down two weeks from today to deliver his '88 Ram 150 4x4 for me to buy for $800.00 It has a 318, 4 speed man, short bed and 8' Meyer plow. It is not a pretty truck, but with some work it will be decent. It depends on how far gone the truck is body wise. A completely rotted truck is not worth rebuilding in my opinion. Im going to replace the bed with a flat bed. If anybody needs an '88 short bed let me know. Im in Raleigh NC. I think the 8' blade may be a little big for this truck, if anybody wants to trade for 7.5' let me know.