1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

90 k2500 stalling problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by red07gsxr, Jul 4, 2010.

1. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i have a 90 k2500 4x4 with the 350 v8...the problem started the other day when after i was working the truck hard it wouldnt start. i had fuel but spark was weak. i replaced the cap and rotor due to corrosion on the cap and the rotor wasnt looking to good. i got the truck running good and 15 min later the truck stalls out... the truck has been taking care of pretty well... i am wondering if anyone has seen this problem. i am leaning towards the coil or the distibutor...or it could be something else...please help i use the truck for work

2. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

Mine did the exact same thing...come to a stop sign that I actually had to stop at and it would stall out. Did plugs, wires, pick up, cap, rotor, and still same thing. Brought it to a guy that is an electrical wizard, told him what I did..he says "hhmmmm" I'll look at it. Calls me not 30 minutes later, has the problem diagnosed, fixed, and truck is ready to pick up. In those early years, Chevy cheesed out in the distributor shaft bushing area and put in nylon, the replacement is brass. The rotor looses contact with the fire points in the cap resulting in a stall. Oh yeah, cost me all of $45.00 for parts and labor. Truck now has 203,000 and is beat on a daily basis hauling mowers and trailer, then in the winter we ease up on it and only plow with it. That repair was 8 years ago and still is going strong. ( I jsut jinxed myself!!!) Hope this helps.

3. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

so i am not understanding what you replaced. the module inside the distubutor??

4. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

need some help here guys

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

It could be a weak coil or the pick up module in the distributor is going out. I would try the coil first, and also check the ignition module too. Those things are prone to go bad. You can replace the pick up module in the distributor or get a whole new one. They arent too badly priced. Should be able to pick up a new one for about 130 bucks, at least that is what I saw on autozone's site for my 92 350 V8 which is the same as your 90

6. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

thanks i am going to try a new coil and dristubutor...i need this thing bullet proof