1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

90 K1500 won't start - no power anywhere

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by trinitygrove, Jan 11, 2006.

1. trinitygrove

trinitygrove Member

Our old plow truck has issues, AGAIN! There have been 2 times in the past 6 months where it just won't start. Battery is new, alternator is new.
    This problems seems to always happen when it is either raining or humid.
    The battery itself has power! We checked it by hooking up jumper cables then touching + to -, I checked all the connections...
    From the battery to the starter, the battery to the power centre under the hood, the ground to the block. I'm not sure what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

my Camaro used to be plaqued by something like this,and it was always a 'dead spot' on that big washer on that big washer where there is a contact made inside the seloniod.I got so sick of always getting a selonoid i would just take it apart and redo the surface lightly with a grinder..just a possibility..

3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

First of all....LOAD test the battery. Simply checking for spark with jumper cables doesn't proove anything. I could find a 10 year old battery in a junk yard.....do the same thing and get sparks.

Charge the battery with a GOOD charger, and then load test it (if you don't have one, borrow one). Your starter could also be bad.

4. trinitygrove

trinitygrove Member

I will do that. Would the starter being gone cause this problem?

5. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

I had a similar problem. Are the lights in the dash going on before you start? Mine were not at times. Come to find out I had a bad ignition switch on my 98 2500. What a pain in the ass it was to fix

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, a starter STARTS your truck. If it's bad, it won't start.

Ignition switch....I forgot about that. YES, it's common with trucks of that age. I'd let someone do it (dealer), as they do them all the time and know all the tricks and have the parts too.

While your at it, replace your headlight switch (real easy to do). They go bad and cause problems.

7. trinitygrove

trinitygrove Member

problem fixed! Turns out that someone (previous owner) had replaced a wire that goes from the battery + to the junction block which is located on the firewall. The wire was too long and was routed along side of the motor and up to the junction block, there was nothing left of the wire at all. Changed the wire, ran it properly and no problems. Thanks for all the input guys.

8. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

1993 f-250 did that here. Ignition switched turned out to be the problem, replace that and it might solve the problem, it just left the fan on or something for the heater and it drained the battery everytime.

9. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

oops...saw that you already solved the problem...my mistake

10. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

Might want to consider a fusable link.

11. trinitygrove

trinitygrove Member

thats what i did do as every other cable going to the junction block had fusible links, that is probably why this cable fried.