1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

90 ford f250 7.3 diesel problems ?????

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by baddboygeorge, Dec 10, 2007.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

It doesnt matter if the truck is cold or hot when ya shut it off an let it sit like 10 minutes or more when ya get back in an start it , truck fires rite up then dies immediately from lack of fuel , then you can pump the hell out of the gas pedal an she will fire up, whats causes this to do that?? Please help thanks George
  2. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Fuel Pump? Its in the v of the engine

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

Has the truck had a recent fuel filter?
  4. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

the fuel is bleeding back,you could have a small air leak at one of the fuel return lines on top of the injectors,or it could be a small crack in one of the rubber lines.they can crack so they will suck air but not leak fuel.
    another possiblity is the fuel return fitting in the injection pump,its job is to hold the fuel in the pump,but i would start with fuel return line o-ring and line kit.
  5. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

The tank selector switches are also known to leak air which will let the fuel drain back from the fuel pump on the drivers side of the block.
  6. baddboygeorge

Could it be bad fuel??? I am gonna but some new lines on the injectors an try that first!
  7. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

Oilburners.net has alot of info on older 7.3's.
  8. baddboygeorge

I think I found the problem!

I did a pressure check on the lines an tank today! It looked all good till about 5 minutes later and a puddle appeared under my rear axle. My bed is rusted out completely, I can see the rear tank and sending unit but i couldn't really tell how bad due to a bed liner. I took the bed liner out an WOW what rust can do . Anyways after pressure checking again I noticed fuel coming out from the bottom of the discharge nipple where main fuel supply line connects to sending unit! That nipple is rusted an is leaking at the base where it goes into sending unit, is that a common problem?
    I know what happened now I used that truck this week to haul some equipment in the bed an I guess someone stepped around in the bed an must have stepped on the sending unit making that nipple leak. After I found the leak I started the truck up an damn she is pouring out of that nipple,, when it has pressure behind it it really flows out well an the truck hardly runs, I took the gas cap off when she was running an the leak became less an the truck started to run better , so this rusty sending unit has to be the problem! What do you guy thinks and can I weld a nice bead around that nipple to prevent from leaking or should I buy a new sending unit?? let me hear from ya guys , Thanks George
  9. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would buy a new sending unit... welding it may work for a short time but if it's that rusted I think in the long run a new part would be a better idea!
  10. baddboygeorge

I put a new sending unit an wiring pigtail . Man its nice not to be sucking air anymore an losing fuel .This ole truck purrs like a kitten, just needs a new bed an when the eweather breaks I am gonna build a nice lawn type bed with dove tail for this set up! Hope all is wellan thanks guys for everything George