1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

90 f350 diff problem Help!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jnmaricic, Dec 30, 2009.

1. jnmaricic

jnmaricic Junior Member
    from 07065

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my 1990 f350 mason dump, manuel trans 2wd broke the front u joint while plowing so i droped the rest of the driveshaft. fixed the joint changed the output seal on the trans. then hooked it all upt. heres my problem. got in the cab to try things out. started to go foward and it was like the parking brake was on. couldnt go forward. then put it in reverse and was able to backup about 5 to 6 feet then it was like hitting a hall. i think something is messed up with the diff.
    truck is stuck in one of my lots
    if anyone can help please let me know your thoughts. also if i can do the work or is this something to leave to the pro. and cost ideas
    thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Something in the rear axle likely let go first and is what caused it to break the front U-joint. The fact that it will move only a few feet tells me it probably lost some teeth from the ring gear most likely. Needs to come apart. :(

3. jnmaricic

jnmaricic Junior Member
    from 07065

how can i check to make sure that is it. i was thinking the same thing. you know how big of a job it is? can i do the work myself pretty hand around my trucks or just have someone do it.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can at least remove the diff cover and check for carnage. Possibly even remove the broken chunks enough to nurse it home depending on the damage and distance needed to be traveled.

But diff work beyond that should be left to a pro.

5. jnmaricic

jnmaricic Junior Member
    from 07065

thanks for the help. any suggestion on diff rebuild kits

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well that would first depend on what all it needs. Best to wait and check into that first. Then go from there. However there's plenty of reasonably priced kits out there. Even a salvage yard complete unit may be a better approach, just depends on what it will require once it's checked out.

7. jnmaricic

jnmaricic Junior Member
    from 07065

yeah i sprayed the diff cover w/ penatrating oil before i left it this afternoon. thanks for the help. been driving myself crazy looking on the web all night for this problem. thanks again happy new year

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Keep us posted and perhaps we can direct you further once you have more info/details.

Good luck. :drinkup:

9. jnmaricic

jnmaricic Junior Member
    from 07065

i will thanks again im sure i will need more help

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Just ask away Brother were here to help if we can.

If you need parts use the Internet to find them. You can find stuff cheap sometimes. A lot of 4x4 magazines have ads for axle shops that can fix you right up. If all else fails get your parts at a medium to heavy duty truck part places. They can get you parts at about 2/3's of what an OEM dealer would cost.